1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Discussion in 'Photo Competitions' started by wiseowl, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Hi everyone,

I think it would be a real shame if the photo competition was dropped, I admit that I've not been taking part & I apologise for this.....some times my workload is so great that I really only manage to keep up with half the forum.

I don't have a camera nor am I any sort of photographer, I use my phone for taking photos all the time, sometimes they are cr:mute:p sometimes they are ok, it's just luck of the draw!

I personally think it would be really nice if we all made an effort for the June comp & supported our woo who has kindly taken responsibility of this thread.

My dear old grandad always told me it's not the winning that's important it's the taking part. :dbgrtmb:so who up for it? Who's going to put in some photos?

Tulips for you @wiseowl for all your hard work :dbgrtmb:
    image.jpeg

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Beckie,

I agree with you.

I don't have a computer but on my phone your photo looks brilliant, the colours really shine out :)

This is one of my favourites that I've taken... Here you go @wiseowl have some Lithospermum to go with Beckies Tulips :)

WP_20160508_004.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,616

Although the competition is lovely to see, I have to admit that as a camera user who is still in the "dummies" stage with both equipment and skills, I have abstained from even trying. I didn't even understand the rules! I read them and realised that I didn't belong. Let's face it, most of us are only capable of using the basic upload file feature. Beyond that, it has clearly been "experts only" territory".

I have never wanted to be a photograper and spent money to upgrade my point and shoot for regular threads to feel not so red faced but would never attemp to join the competition.
        Just my humble opinion. ....:scratch: Not sour grapes, but this is not an area for the shy.......or, non photograpers :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,616
          Oh, and I do try to vote. If rules relax I will give it a shot... er a snapshot :)

• Like Like x 5
          • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,389
            I used to enjoy the photo competitions on here a longtime ago, but then the enormous scrolling necessary to travel between pictures put me off.

Also the voting it was not an easy process. (aside from having to look for the various threads themselves).

Maybe if the option existed to put a vote directly under the pic...or present all the pic as a tumblesize in a smaller space rather than going on for pages and pages...But I do see the current presentation to be of hindrance for the success of the thread.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,883
            The photo comps will carry on even if it ends up with only Woo entering every month:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

@Anthony Rogers could you please suggest an alternative way of voting
            :smile:

Just what I was hoping :blue thumb:for all this constructive criticism will be invaluable in the regeneration of the monthly Photo Comp ,I shall try to go with the flow and and add all requests before the June Photo Comp commences

This will be included in the June photo comp

1.All entries should limit the use of digital manipulations to only file conversion, level, curve and sharpening. Adding elements to the original image that were not there are NOT allowed. NO software filters are allowed, frames optional. Colour or Black and White (Black and White conversions allowed).
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------

These will be put back in

2.The winner will be decided by votes by the users of the forum. Also the winner of the competition gets to choose the theme for the next month's competition.

3.All entries to be taken in current competition month & submitted by 5pm on the last day of the month of the competition..
            .................................................................................

• Like Like x 3
            • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,389
              that's the spirit, my friend

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,495
                On the point of constructive criticism, this wording means absolutely nothing to me :scratch: :dunno:

All entries should limit the use of digital manipulations to only file conversion, level, curve and sharpening.

This may have put some people off, simply from not understanding what it means. :) They're technical terms that have arisen since digital photography came about. Although I use a digital camera (thirteen years old) my photographic knowledge is steeped in the distant past :old: :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,883
                  Good morning @shiney good point my friend,what do you think of this;)

I will put this in
                  All entries to remain without any alteration at all ,and remain the same images as when they were taken

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,495
                  Hi, @wiseowl

Then that would preclude people from putting frames round etc.

Maybe you just need to explain, in simple terms, what file conversion, level, curve and sharpening mean. I'm pretty sure that if you put the meaning down then the GC members on this thread could shorten the explanation for you. :blue thumb: :)

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +89,883
                    Hi shiney we could always just vote for the best frame:heehee:

I will explain what file conversion, level, curve and sharpening mean,but to be honest I think it would just make it more complicated and take a lot of space and defeat the object of keeping the simplicity ,,but I will add the frames and black and white back in:smile:

Please keep all these points coming,I am sure we will get there in the end:smile:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,028
                      Good Morning All :)

Sorry for not being around I've not had much time to enter as I've been nursing Dad who sadly passed away three weeks ago and was laid to rest yesterday.

Firstly thank you @woo for all your hard work and efforts for running the photo competitions and at times even when you are poorly. Personally I think its just great and couldn't thank you enough :)

@CanadianLori you should give it a go, I am not a professional photographer, I'm a complete novice at primary stage and just like giving it a go... it gets me out and about thinking about the theme chosen, sometimes I can find something straight away and sometimes a real struggle but then I have to have a good think or go on a search to find something which is most of the time as being in the New Forrest I'm surrounded by trees. The photo completion has helped me so much since I joined I've learnt a lot from other members photo's and compositions, every photo entered are just brilliant and yes I struggle to vote at times as I want them all to win:)

My photo's are a mix from my camera (which I am still trying to learn about and mostly taken on 'auto') and a lot have been taken with my IPhone or IPad i:e.. Eiffel Tower, reflections.. and more. Every level can have a go and to be honest... all the photo's I see on GC of animals, gardening, plant problems, skies in the morning/evening are really excellent.

@Zigs and @strongylodon it would be a real shame if the thread was finished and had run its course. I agree with @Sheal and @Anthony Rogers sometimes I find it difficult to find certain theme's but then it just makes me think outside the box a little bit more and I agree putting in older photo's is not a good idea. It's a shame @"M" you don't join in as your photo's are great!

@miraflores I understand about voting but all I do is look through the photo's and vote on a piece of paper and then type up my comment. :)

If members are stuggling with finding something to suit a theme maybe a solution, just in my opinion:), could be..... that there are three themes to choose from:- one from first place, one from second and one from third. This way it would be very mixed and maybe more members would give it a go as there is a bigger selection to think about ;)

@Beckie76 I shall look forward to seeing your photo's :):heehee:

I agree with the rules... the photo's entered should not be modified and just a reflection of what's been taken at the time. The first few I entered I really struggled with so I PM'd Woo who helped me and then I had a better understanding of what I need to do... :) I'm not offering Woo's time but I'm sure any member entering would be willing to help with anyone struggling :grphg:

It would be a real shame for the thread to end as during the lesser gardening months when not a lot is happening it's something else that keeps us together and chatting:) :grphg:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
                      • Agree Agree x 3
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                        Ratings:
                        +89,883
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • shiney

Ratings:
                          +118,495
                          The June competition is a very good theme. It allows anyone to take photos around where they live. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +3,028
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.