1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Injured sparrow!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Axie-Ali, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, just in need of a little advice.
    I have an injured sparrow in my garden, it hops about rather clumsily and only seems to be able to get an inch or two off the ground, so not sure whether it has hurt its leg or wing.
    It has been in the garden for 2 days now as I thought it best to just leave it alone and let nature takes its course, but as time goes on its becoming more distressing, not just for the bird but also for me and my daughter!
    Am I right to just leave it be....or should I take it to the vet/wildlife sanctuary/RSPB?
    I think it must be a youngster as occassionally another sparrow comes down and feeds it, they also talk to each other constantly!...its really upsetting.
    Thanks

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,045
    To be honest I dont think there is much you can do, it will get better or it will die.

Difficult to watch, but its wildlife, and nature is not kind.

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Don't watch it happen Alison, it sounds like it won't have a happy ending.

I am having a similar experience watching all the tiny baby frogs get picked off by blackbirds.

4. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    In my heart I know you are right, thats why I haven't touched it....but its so noisy with its crying thats its almost made my garden a no go area! :(

5. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
  6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,045
    A couple of weeks ago a baby sparrow, struggled to get up on the step to my conservatory, eventually he made it.
    He put his head under his wing and sat there all day breathing deeply.
    Looked a bit later and he was dead.
    You cant do anything, but its not easy to watch.

7. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Claralou, thank you so much for that useful link. They are not far from me and thankfully have a helpline. Its late and dark now, but if the poor thing is still in the garden tomorrow morning I shall phone them and take their advice....thanks again :)

8. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I hope for a happy ending for you and the little sparrow Axie-Ali - but sadly I doubt it.
    Call that number you got from ClaraLou. Don't expect too much but at least you will have done all you can do for a sparrow.

I'm still trying to work out how to help the million people in Pakistan left homeless by the floods. Desperate stuff, but where does the charity money go and how quickly.

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Anything new Alison? Did it make it through the night? I hope so for your little girl's sake.

10. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't seen it today :(, we had lots of rain yesterday so I checked it hadn't been washed into the pond. I know it has travelled to me from my neighbour who reported seeing the poor thing a few days before it came into my garden...so I shall look again tomorrow :(

11. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    :( Nature is so cruel. Somehow you always feel responsible when some poor little creature ends up in your garden. I'm not going to lose much sleep over the big juicy slug I've just stepped on, mind you.

12. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    haha Clare...that made me laugh. I do wince a bit when I step on a snail...you can feel the crunch through your shoe for hours after! lol

13. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Good point Clare, strange how we apportion varying value on different types of life, I have been more or less evicted from my lawn for the next few days so I can avoid squelching baby frogs, yet I have snipped and salted my way through hundreds of slugs in my time.

Maybe you can convince yourself that it recovered completely and flew away Alison, at least maybe you can convince your little girl of the same thing.