Just a question

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wiseowl, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    So challenging members is not a good idea? Just pull one from your archives, post it..job done...A little sedentary that is.

I would think that common sense would prevail, Woo is a wise owl and would say to the current comp chooser. " I am so sorry my friend, but we cannot do shots from Spring, in the middle of Winter. Would you like to choose another?"

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Hi Steve, good to hear from you, in fact we don't hear from you enough. I don't think it's a case of "challenging" members or perhaps doing a body search!!:dunno::heehee: We don't have any professional photographers on GC as far as I know, just members who like taking pics either seriously or just for fun.....and that really is the essence of GC, it's threads, posts and even competitions, some fun, some spreading of help, knowledge and a great pic or two. So I don't think that we have a great number of members who would be sedentary or inactive mentally or have vast archives to draw on.:dunno: I think you will find that most of the gang who enter do so abiding by the rules and in a sense of fun and are not driven by an overriding desire to win by any means.:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,702
        Well taking shots of a given subject within a timeframe is challenging, sorry I don't understand the body search note. As to the rest of your post I quite agree and have already said as much that I don't think anyone here would cheat, or know how to, nor would it be worth it either.

Perhaps if you want a more sedentary approach you could start a new photo feature "This month from your archive or new", show us a photo of...

No point changing the current photo comp, "if it aint broke, don't fix it" is the phrase that springs to mind.

But it is not my competition, I don't enter it or vote upon it either for my own reasons. I only commented here to give my understanding of the op's original question.

• Like Like x 4
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,495
          Sorry Armandii, I'm with Steve on this one. :) I think the idea of the competitions is to challenge us, taking old photo's from our archives doesn't make us get out there and find new ways to interpret the current months theme.

As you know I chose this months theme and chose wisely knowing that there are certain themes that don't work at certain times of year. This can also be said for choosing certain scenery themes ie. 'A day at the beach' when some of us live miles from it. I think it's down to common sense on what theme is chosen and as Steve says, Woo at this current time is in the adjudicating seat and I'm sure he will know whether the theme will work for everyone or not.

• Like Like x 3
          • Agree Agree x 3
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            I can't think of anyone in the GC Gang, Steve, who would approve of a "sedentary approach" in competitions, threads and posts!!:heehee: But we're always looking to improve broaden things on GC so reviewing rules, having the input of members is a necessary thing to keep us up to date.
            I agree with the saying "if it ain't broke. don't fix it" but being an old RAF Radar techie I believe in asking, and was taught to ask, "we know it's working, but can it be improved?" otherwise things stand still and might even become sedentary.:dunno::snork:

• Like Like x 1
            • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
              Ratings:
              +3,702
              Sorry, I misunderstood you earlier I thought when you mentioned about not restricting to using photos taken within that month, that archived photos could be used in your view...hence my sedentary tag.

Anyway..time to move on now I think...

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
                Ratings:
                +3,035
                The 'current month' rule disadvantages me considerably since I'm often away from home with no internet and often don't even know what the monthly theme is until I get back home and have missed opportunities. HOWEVER I do think that the current month rule is good as it presents an additional challenge to get out and get snapping, even if one does, like me, often miss the boat.
                I do think that some themes in the past have tended to restrict opportunities depending on folk's local or accessible environments. But, hey-ho, win some lose some, and if the absolutely stunning snap I took last month doesn't fit the current theme, I'll live with it. :-)

• Like Like x 3
                • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +91,080
                  Good morning all excellent subject matter this discussion,as you know the Photo Comps are your photo Comps and woo is only helping out it while our good friend Marley is otherwise engaged;) any suggestions are always welcomed and are considered and treated seriously,and will always be posted so that I can see how the majority of you feel,which is the only guide that I have,and I will always ask if I need assistance as I have already asked @Sheal and @ARMANDII and @Steve R for their help and they had no hesitation in helping me which is always very much appreciated:ThankYou:

@shiney I see you are wearing that Kimono I got for you again:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +121,210
                    I've enjoyed reading this discussion and agreed with all the comments - for and against! :doh:

It reminds me of a scene in the film "Fiddler on the Roof".

Two sides plead their case to Tevya about the sale of a horse (they were disputing the age of the horse).

After hearing the first side, Tevya says, “You know, you’re right”.

Upon hearing the other person plead the other side of the case,

Tevya says, “You know, you’re right.”

When a bystander asks, “How can they both be right?”, Tevya replies, “You know, you’re right too.” :noidea: :snork:

Stop talking about me!! :old: :loll:

I would find it very easy to enter the competitions if there was no time restriction on when the photo was taken. I have about 70,000 photos on my computer and this will increase a fair amount when I have converted my pre-digital (up to 55 years old - when I bought my first camera) photos and slides to digital (thanks to kindredspirit :blue thumb:).

So, although I sometimes find I'm not able to enter the competitions, due to opportunity or time restrictions, it may be a bit unfair for me to drag photos up from my archives. Although I think I may deserve a prize for remembering what the photo is and where to find it. (It was in an embroidery - hand made - making factory in Agra, India.)

I like the idea of, possibly, another competition with no time restriction on the photo taking period. :blue thumb: Gives me more of a chance :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                      Ratings:
                      +32,354
                      I just like, Good,Basic and Strong Rules :) but i will draw the line at, i must wear pink unde's on a Monday :snork::biggrin: or any day of the week

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +121,210
                        You're just a spoil sport :nonofinger:

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                          +100,838

Well, you used to Jiffy, what's changed your mind???:doh::scratch::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
                          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                            Ratings:
                            +32,354
                            I thought that was our little secret !!

• Funny Funny x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                              +100,838
                              Afraid not, Ziggy has been pm'ing everyone.:dunno::whistle::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2