1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Just up-dated to windows 10 and GC has gone crazy!!

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Apple Blossom, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,028
    Good Evening @Webmaster

I have updated to windows 10 today and GC has gone crazy and I was wondering if you had seen this before....

upload_2015-10-29_18-30-9.png

This is a screen shot and as you can see empty yellow boxes, if I hover over them it does tell me what they do also, my like. agree bar is there and again with some precision if I hover the mouse over in the blackness they pop up but the whole bar is not visible.

Oddly enough the screen is black/white and yellow and no other colour...

Would appreciate any help to get it back to normal .... :biggrin:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      I updated to Windows 10 about two weeks ago and have had no problems.

• Apple Blossom

Ratings:
      +3,028
      I have had a brief view of the comments and no-body seems to have the same problem as I have.

Last time I had an up-date it knocked out my mouse function on my lap top so had to convert to a mobile one... however I'm really impressed that windows 10 has corrected the problem and my mouse mat is working again :yahoo:

I just don't understand why GC looks like this... all I did, once it had completed the download was to up-date my emails and go on line to GC .... very strange.... I think it must be my settings somewhere and thought I would put a post up to see if it has happened to anyone else and how it was fixed...

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I'll keep reading/asking this question until I get an answer, is the win 10 problem a result of an upgrade from 8/8.1, or a result from purchasing with win 10 already installed?

• Like Like x 1
        • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
          +3,028
          :hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil:I'VE SORTED IT :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I've just had a browse through all the settings and there it was staring at me in the face...:heehee:

I think when it up-dated it converted to black/white/yellow, any way I clicked on the windows icon and hey presto.. back to normal :dancy:

• Like Like x 2
          • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
            +3,028
            Hi Scrungee, I just had an up-grade... free one as it asked me a month or so ago, but I kept postponing it on my laptop due to exams and a presentations I'd been working on for some time.

Anyway to answer your question... I was on Windows 8/8.1 which took out my mouse matt when it updated..... I just did the free up-date today and its fixed my mouse matt great stuff..

I think the problem came from when it first re-started.. as I remember it asked me a question about contrast and I have to admit I pressed a few buttons and the screen appeared black background, white typing and yellow boarders if that makes sense! Anyway a quick look in the control panel and having a play around in appearance and presentation, I reverted it back to windows and problem fixed...:dancy: Hope this helps to answer your question.....??

• Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
            +52
            I have Window's 7 and keep getting reminder's about upgrading to Window's 10 but keep putting it off as not being a computer whizz kid am afraid will get it wrong and create lot's of problems.Cannot remember the cut of date for the free upgrade to window's 10 does anyone know the date.Thank's

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,617
            The last date for downloading Windows 10 free is 29th July so you have seven days @Paul Blackburn.

It's pretty simple to download, just follow what it tells you. A word of advice though. Write down all your passwords and email addresses first as there's a slight chance you may lose them. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,616

I did and have no regrets. Got a slight problem with keyboard symbols but will some day get that sorted. Worth the little hassle:)

• burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
              Ratings:
              +4,070
              I don't like windows 10, I'm using it, but it seems to be geared to mobile/tablet use rather than to a desk top. I also have found that quite a lot of things will not work with Edge, for example if I open my flickr account(a Bt product) you cannot copy images to paste on GC or any other sites. I'm told it will work with Chrome, however I still use explorer at the moment as I'm familiar with it.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +21,346
              @burnie
              I too didn't like the "feel" of Windows 10, but a bit of hunting threw up a program called Clasic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/). This allows you to customise the desktop and menus, mine is now very much a Windows 7 setup.

• Like Like x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +86,077
                Oh good news, only another few days and I stop getting those silly reminders.:smile:

As far as I'm concerned they can shove it.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  Still no problems whatsoever with my new W10 HD display ssd ultrabook (poor man's macbook)

Not impresed with Edge, so I'm still using IE, but whenever there's been any problems with websites using IE, changing to Edge has worked.

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,616
                  Windows xp and windows vista are no longer supported. I had get an old computer updated to a windows 7 just to get my sister access to the internet. The old computer would not be able to run any newer operating system so when microsoft stops supporting 7, 8 etc , that computer will have to be binned...and I'll have to buy her a newer one...

I do run an old tower on xp but it is only used for my accounting and the accounting software is not compatible with any newer os. Don't want to buy new accounting software so am glad I don't need it for much else. It still has the capacity to send emails through my wireless modem.

I now have two of my computers running 10 and now have sorted the keyboard issue.

My point is, that it wouldn't be wise to wait til they stop supporting your os if you don't have alternate equipment to access..

Just my opinion.. :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +86,077
                  By the time they stop supporting windows, whatever I'm using, think it might be 8.

I'm guessing my lap top will be obsolete anyway.

If could I'd dump it anyway, the keys are so close together I end up hitting two at the same time mostly anyway, and end up going back over every thing most of the time.

• Like Like x 1