Solved Killing White Bryony

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Dave007, May 3, 2024.

1. Dave007

Dave007 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am trying to get rid of lots of clumps of white bryony.
    Last year kept cutting it back hoping to weaken it - doesn't seem to work.
    I dug out one piece a couple of weeks ago - it had 3 foot long parsnip looking root with a large turnip shaped lump about 10" below the surface.
    Unfortunately due to where the bryony plants are growing its not going to be possible to dig them out without completely ruining the garden.
    I have now discovered one plant photo attached - the white thing is a golf ball for an idea of size
    Any ideas on how eradicate it without using a JCB

Attached Files:

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +245
    If you're prepared to use a weedkiller, a glyphosate-based weedkiller should do the trick.
    Roundup is the standard choice available and should be sufficient, but a stronger form is available - anything with 'glyphosate 360' is the strongest form.

Be wary though, it is absorbed only through the leaves and will likely kill any plant that it lands on, so spray carefully on a calm day. It has no effect on the soil.

PS - it does take about 2 weeks to work. Faster if it's warm, a bit longer if it's cool.
    Wait until the plant is obviously completely dead before removing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dave007

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you
      The big lump in the photo is part of the root system. I had wondered if it was worth drilling holes in it and pouring glyphosate into the holes?

• Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +245
      No - it is absorbed only through the leaves.
      So don't spray if rain is due within 6 hours.

Your suggestion can work if dealing with a tree stump, but doubt it would work on a little weed.
      Just spray carefully - it's potent stuff and will kill most plants with a single spray.

Here are my before and after pics
      P1010836.JPG

P1020007.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: May 3, 2024
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,670
        Briony often grows though hedges so be careful spraying as glyphosate will kill any plant that has green leaves, it is not selective. I use a poly sandwich bag to go over a few leaves and spray or paint the weedkiller on. Seal up the bag as best you can to make it weatherproof as rain will lesson its effect significantly. I can't get at the big root amongst the hedge trunks plus they come from the neighbours side. The root will die eventually but may need a few treatments via green leaves, as said above glyphosate won't work being applied into the root, but other weedkiller like sbk root killer

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Dave007

Ratings:
          +1
          Like the plastic bag idea Will try that on the smaller bits Thank you
          Not sure if sbk can be used now or if it needs to be used in autumn.
          Ecoplug Max Tree Stump Killer appears to be glyphosate plugs usable all year round hence the idea of drilling holes and adding glyphosate in the big lump

• Like Like x 1
          • Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
            +203
            One trick I have used is to get a largish strong poly bag, stuff as much of the foliage as you can into the bag and add equal parts glyphosate 360 and water. Tie the neck and hang from a convenient point or stand in a bucket.
            After a couple of weeks cut the stems above the bag and dispose of.
            Repeat as required.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,114
              For weeds with inaccessible roots and other plants nearby, I have occasionally used a large fizzy drink bottle with the bottom cut off, pop it over the weed stuffing as much of the leaves as possible inside, spray through the bottle neck. The best were some 3l (I think) pepsi bottles that OH had once. For weeds with a lot of mature top growth, you can chop it off and wait for regrowth, then treat that while it's growing strongly.

• Agree Agree x 1