1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lavenders

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by pattie, Mar 1, 2020.

1. pattie

pattie Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +704
    I have a question- it's probably a daft one me not being very knowledgeable, unlike you all!
    I have a French lavender in a pot and am wondering if I should prune it back a little... it still has its 'bunny ears'. Is now the time to do it, or should I wait until the weather gets warmer(!). I'm amazed it's survived thus far, it's in a sheltered position.
    In this pot I also have some viola plants around the edges. They are looking somewhat bedraggled- should I trim these back too?
    I am in the cold North, if that helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi Pattie, welcome to Gardeners Corner and congratulations on becoming a member of the GC Gang.:love30::thumbsup:
      Yep, your French Lavender has done well to survive the Winter but, as you say, you've put it in a good place. Pruning is easy, all you need to do is cleanly cut it back by around two thirds.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,509
        To add to Armandii cut it back to a clearly live bud and never cut into a woody branch unless they is a live growing bud lower down. Try to keep a roundish shape if you can.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • pattie

pattie Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +704
          Thank you both. I appreciate your advice.
          I now have to brace myself and go outside. It's very cold and blustery - and I'm sure you are all familiar with the 'it'll only take a moment or two'...and then you spot another thing needs doing, then another... and afore you realise, you've been outside an age!

• Like Like x 4
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Been there, done that, and still wearing the T-Shirt, pattie:dunno::whistle::heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,612
              Welcome to Gardeners Corner Pattie. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Ruth82

Ruth82 Gardener

Ratings:
                +122
                Any help with this lavender just looks scruffy. Pruned it a little last year but made it look worse. Still looked nice when it flowred last year. I am a new gardener inherited it with a new home 2 years ago just trying to keep things tidy

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Pruning a little, Ruth, is where you're going wrong. Grit your teeth and prune the Lavender back but not into the old wood.

"Using pruning shears cut back at least 1/3. The older the plants, the more vigorous you can be, however, don't cut down to leafless wood. Give life to the lavender by pruning to the points just above the wood. When pruning well established lavender, cut just above the third node from the wood."

• Informative Informative x 3
                  • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                    +12,667
                    As @ARMANDII says you need to prune it back, but not into old wood. Cut back to the lowest point at which there is new growth / leaves. Then more buds will break lower down the stem and you can prune back a bit further (after it flowers this year). You may be able to do a bit more, next Spring, and more again each year after flowering. Best to prune it straight after flowering, and in Spring "if necessary"

I had a long Lavender hedge and despite my best efforts it got out of control over the years and I found the pruning very tedious (even I have the patience for one or two bushes though ...) aggravated by arthritis in my hands, so in the end I pulled it all out and planted something else that i could just run a hedge trimmer over.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Ruth82

Ruth82 Gardener

Ratings:
                      +122
                      So iv given it quite a tough prune and it looks like this. Thanks very much for the advise. I do 'google' stuff but can be hard to find specific advise. Is still looking quite woody underneath still (may remove the extra woody bottom bits in future) but much better see how it grows in the next month or two

Attached Files:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      I would, for the moment leave the "extra woody bottom bits". Ruth, as you can sometimes have too much of a good thing!!!:dunno::heehee: With Lavender pruning you cut down to just above the old wood bits leaving a couple of inches of new, this years, growth on the top of it.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                        +12,667
                        Even here ... "Ask two people and get three answers" applies :)

yes, I'm not surprised. If you find some stems that have "shoots/leaves" further up, cut them back to just that one green/silver bit. That bit of green/silver will sprout, but chances are also good that some/many/most will also create fresh sprouts further up the brown stems ... and then you can cut back to those next time.

I would cut more off, as much as you have patience to do, taking, say, anything up to 50% of the stems further back to "just one bit of green/silver still alive". I'd leave the other 50% as-is so it doesn't look too bald! and you have plenty of flowering material this year, and also to provide "power/energy" to the rest of the, recovering, parts of the plant.

• Like Like x 2