1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by lollipop, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    Lovely, gorgeous!!!
    We went here and to Eden project- I preferred Heligan but I remember trying to get up a huge bank in the jungle area. OH had to pull and push me!

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    My calf muscles were killing me the next day, I was limping with stiffness lol.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Good exercise for you, after all that sitting in the car getting there!:D

4. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Helligan is a fantastic place to visit, BUT there is a lot of steep uphill walking to do,
    specially in the jungle area, be sure you can cope with hills before attempting it, or
    stick to the more level areas. the place got 10/10 from me. The Eden Project is well
    worth a visit while you're in the area, another 10/10.

5. RedRose

RedRose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Very impressive picture...
    [​IMG]

6. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Just noticed you can visit the Eden Project on Google Streetview. That'll save a few quid in petrol for some.

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Very good Axl, just had a quick visit - shame you can't get inside the domes though.

8. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    You can that's why I mentioned it!

9. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Just worked out how to save the URL. I guess they uncoupled their cameras and wandered round the domes on their coffee break :skp:

Here.

10. jennylyn

jennylyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :) I now live down in Cornwall and must admit to loving it here - there are many fantastic gardens with beautiful plant collections and walks - lots are missed by most people as they head off to the bigger tourist attractions like Heligan & Eden (which I also do like too). So -would be holidaymakers...on your next visit check out National Trust places and get the yellow gardens booklet AND go to 'local' small post offices as they often have their own local walks/gardens to visit info. Well worth it - there are some absolute gems to see! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      Ah well done Axl, I couldn't figure out how to get inside the domes :gnthb:

• Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
      +43
      I adore Polperro Clare!

From age 2 to 17 I spent three weeks a year there on our family holiday. My friends used to tease me cos we went to the same place, but they were wonderful times, and now wonderful memories. Looe, Polperro, Fowey and Mevagissey are all locked on my heart.

• Nightwarrior

Nightwarrior Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      I went to Heligan and Eden gardens about 9 years ago. I also went to Trebah gardens, and out of the three, Trebah was my favourite - with it's own private beach at the end of the walk down! I'd also like to move to Cornwall just so I could see the gardens more often!

• Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
      +245
      Out of these three, Trebah is easily the best garden to visit. Personally I prefer the less commercial gardens in Cornwall, such as Bosahan, Penjerick, Tregrehan. Many of these great gardens lose something once they put in the coach park and tea rooms.

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
      I agree totally, Gaz, although I'm a bit irrational about it all. I want somewhere to park my car, and preferably a table where I can magic up a bit of tea and cake. I just don't want anyone else to do the same thing. :WINK1: