1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

May 2006 Photo Competition DISCUSSION thread

Discussion in 'Photo Competitions' started by Webmaster, May 1, 2006.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Please post all discussion regarding the May Photo competiton within this thread.

Many thanks

Nathan.

2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    Cracking pic. to start off the May comp W/Flower,
    Very you.............. [​IMG]

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Smashing pic Wildflower... :D So apt that you should start the ball rolling too.. :D :D
    [​IMG]

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    well the dandelion is wonderfull..will have to think hard for my next two entrys..i suppose some one could post a picture of someone with a frightfull hairstyle..that would be wild and wonderfull..at least its a good topic with lots of scope..will have to go for a walk over the field and see if i can find something worth entering..I have loads of squirells in my garden which would make a nice photo but my camera skills are limited...by the time i got it sorted they would be back tucked up in their tree...

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,533
    Hornbeam, that mountain pansy knocks spots off the cultivated ones!
    Fantastic photos so far. [​IMG]

6. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes - the wild pansies are glorious but quite tiny. See how big it is compared with the moss in the photo. I really do wonder what some plant breeders are up to when I see the fat and floppy giant pansies in garden centres. These tiny Teesdale plants grow in the poorest of soils and would doubtless blow up like balloons if planted in a rich garden environment. ;)

7. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hornbeam:
    We 'do' mountain pansies round here, but that Spring Gentian is absolutely superb. [​IMG]

8. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes - the gentians are truly stunning and it was a real thrill to see them. They are found only in one small part of Upper Teesdale now. Yet a hundred years ago, local children gathered them freely and displayed them in special china gentian bowls. The area was devastated when the Cow Green reservoir flooded the upper reaches of the dale. A few years later they decided that they didn't need the reservoir after all.

Here is another shot showing how they grow. In flower from April - May.
    [​IMG]

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,533
    Hornbeam ... you mean the 10,000 fat and floppy pansies I have to grow every year! I prefer viola to pansies although the parks want large gaudy colours, not subtlty, unfortunately.
    Panola... a pansy/viola cross, a pointless production. I have to grow them as well but I don't have to like them. :D :D

10. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    You have my condolences, Strogylodon (btw there is a gorgeous one (Jade Vine) in Cambridge botanic gardens)

As regard fat and floppy pansies - I kind of hope that one day the fashion will change and people will see the clear beauty of the violas.

11. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dave W:

Re. your sphagnum moss - nice pic! I didn't realise untill a couple of days ago that there were speciality growers of mosses - seems they are used for 'vegetation' on bonsi. :D

12. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Must tell our son who is seriously into bonsai growing. Much to the detriment of MY GH during the winter months!
    I've come across sphagnum in all sorts of colours from green to pink and red, to yellow to almost white. I suspect the colour is due to minerals in the soil.

13. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the colour of hornbeams.. gentians is stunning!! its like a spiritual blue colour..man couldnt make a blue as good..

14. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Ahhhh a beautiful relaxing shot Paladin.. Can almost smell the sea.... :D

15. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    the pictures so far this month are just beautiful [​IMG]