1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal spinning.

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Retired, May 31, 2019.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,791
    Hi,

An update. Both The Wakefield Welding Center and Parweld have been brilliant. :dbgrtmb::yes:

Between them my welder has been fully repaired under warranty totally free of charge to me; such wonderful service deserves full credit. I also received the repair service sheet from Parweld; the welder had indeed exploded big style; it needed lots of expensive components including three circuit boards and a dozen transistors; it's now a joy to own and use. I can't praise both companies enough.

I've now owned the welder for about 14 weeks and right from the start TIG welding has been more of a pain than a pleasure; the welder exploded and as just stated has been fully repaired then came no end of problems buying Argon gas; I bought a 30L cylinder from SGS gasses and when I returned home I was kindly tipped off by a MIG Welding forum member I should not have been charged VAT on the cylinder fully returnable deposit amounting to over £28; I contacted SGS asking for a refund please; this was declined by SGS who in turn not only called me ridiculous by email but also on a forum thread; I returned the full unused cylinder for a refund then because I'd been offended I reported the matter to HMRC.

Next was Hobbyweld; I visited their agent Innergy in Dewsbury and wanted a 20L cylinder but the cylinder I wanted they didn't stock but would be happy to obtain one for me as a special order with a couple of days notice; they had 9L cylinders and as usual it was pouring with rain so I came away with a 9L cylinder. At last I could now practice TIG welding aluminium. I quickly ran the cylinder empty and returned it to Dewsbury in the rain of course; I now came away with two 9L cylinders in order to save lots of running around; these cylinders each at £125 for gas and deposit. Back home I coupled up the regulator to find the first cylinder less than half full; another visit to Dewsbury in the rain and now Innergy had run out of full 9L cylinders so I politely asked for a credit note.

A few days later I was back in Dewsbury collecting the full cylinder. Now with one cylinder empty and the second cylinder running low I phoned Innergy in Dewsbury to arrange trading in both these 9L cylinders against a 20L cylinder; there's a really big price difference because the 9L cylinders are only filled to 137 bar pressure whilst the 20L cylinder is filled to 230 bar pressure.

This proved to be the strangest phone call I've ever made; the lady and I didn't seem to be on the same page then out of curiosity I asked where she was; LEEDS; I had phoned Dewsbury and unknown to me was speaking to a lady in Leeds? I think I managed to order the 20L cylinder?

A few days later not having been informed the cylinder had arrived once again I phoned Innergy in Dewsbury but having been caught out I was now smart and used their 0845 number; all went well the lady had me hold for five minutes whilst she went outside to check; she returned saying sorry she couldn't find the cylinder but the guy who would know was to return in twenty minutes and she would ask him to phone me? Out of curiosity once again I asked where she was; LEEDS; so I phoned Dewsbury and the lady in leeds was looking for my cylinder outside where she was in Leeds.

I decided enough was enough and sent an email explaining what was happening and cancelled the order. I returned both empty cylinders to Innergy in Dewsbury for a deposit refund on both less £24 admin fee. Innergy staff are excellent to deal with and all was done in a friendly manner but they need to get their act together because it's no fun being messed around whilst driving unwanted journeys in pouring rain.

I'm now with BOC the top players having opened an account; I was very pleased indeed to find The Wakefield Welding Center BOC agents so I collected a 20L cylinder from them. WOW at last I was all set up to get some serious TIG practice in. I coupled up the regulator and was ready to start welding; I switched on the welder and opened the cylinder valve only now to watch the low pressure gauge go past danger making it highly dangerous; was I once again going to experience another explosion?

It's an awful long story and can be seen here;

Blown my welder up.

Parweld and TWWC have again been brilliant; Parweld is to replace the faulty regulator free of charge but I've now bought a more expensive BOC regulator; my life is at risk if a regulator fails with 230 bar pressure behind it; I know I suffer from bad luck and I'm truly grateful to Parweld but to have their welder explode and now their regulator be faulty I want to be perfectly sure as to my and others safety in my workshop; I'm just so unlucky and I don't wish to seem ungrateful in any way to Parweld after all they've gone light years out of their way to help me; Parweld sell many highly reliable welders and regulators but it's just my bad luck kicking in all the time.

So; welder exploded; on my third gas supplier and now the regulator with an highly dangerous fault on it.

I've now got the BOC cylinder back home together with the new BOC regulator; I've also spent a lot of money on aluminium stock as from now I'm good to go and intend to resume TIG practice shortly.

I accept these things happen so full credit to both TWWC and Parweld for their most generous help.

Kind regards, Colin.

Aluminium stock_0001.JPG
    Expensive aluminium stock.

Aluminium stock_0002.JPG

I don't like skimping on materials so here are about 350 aluminium metal spinning blanks to keep me occupied metal spinning over our long dreary winter.

Practice Friday_0001.JPG
    Practicing TIG welding and making good progress. The Parweld TIG welder is a beauty now it's fully repaired and I'm happy with it.

Running beads_0004.JPG
    Running lots of beads for more practice.

Sat weld_0004.JPG

Another corner joint this in 4mm thick aluminium; perhaps all the silliness is now behind me and I can settle down to learning TIG welding?

My hobbies are many and widely varied; I enjoy leaving my comfort zone to learn new skills.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Colin. When I began to read your post, I was about to ask if you'd thought about going to BOC. They are probably TOPS for all kinds of gases. BOC supplied the hospital with medical gases where I once worked, also provided me with happy rose growing customers. Hope all goes well from now on.

• Retired

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +5,791
      Hi,

Thanks Mike. :dbgrtmb:

BOC would have been first on my list for gas but I was taught on BOC Sapphire welding and cutting equipment 55 years ago and BOC only dealt with industrial suppliers; I hadn't realized they now have an Hobby account where anyone can open the account and buy 20L cylinders these being the largest available on the hobby account.

BOC are tops with me and I'm now happy to be with them as a customer; opening an hobby account I simply emailed them with an enquiry stating my needs and contact details; they were brilliant; one of their guys phoned me and was helpful and friendly explaining everything in detail including prices; he then sent me by email an application form which was a bit long winded but easy enough; having submitted the completed application it took about a day as it was going through their accounts department then I was a customer.

BOC cylinders are rental and I'm paying a year's rental then I can exchange the cylinder as often as I like just paying for gas each time; I collect and return cylinders to their agent The Wakefield Welding Center; TWWC scan the cylinder and it's booked into my account for payment allowing me to bring it home; when the cylinder is empty I return it to TWWC where it's booked back in and a full cylinder booked out on my account; for the first cylinder the BOC account number is needed in order to get me onto their system but once on then I no longer need to produce my account number due to the cylinders then being scanned; all so easy once set up; the cost of the rental isn't returned so needs renewing each year but is well worth it for peace of mind; the more gas used the cheaper it becomes compared to companies which charge a fully returnable deposit (less admin costs); I'm not to a few quid trying to save money; I now know in future I'll not have any more problems buying gas; pity I didn't know BOC supplied to hobbyists up front though.

The 9L cylinders from Hobbyweld are excellent for occasional use but are highly expensive indeed for any serious welding; my three Hobbyweld cylinders cost me £180 for gas and when I handed the cylinders back for a refund I was charged £24 admin (£12 each); these cylinders hold little gas because they are only charged to 137 bar; BOC are charged to 230 bar so work out much cheaper. It all depends on the work to be done but I'm happy with BOC and I know their equipment is top quality; what price safety and top service?

Kind regards, Colin.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        @Retired As you are aware, I've been welding for years. Even back in the 1960's, BOC had accounts for private people. Its just that most people didnt know how to get one, as they had to be obtained by a court order. Ask me how I know? :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
        • Retired

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,791
          Hi,

Thanks Sandy. In my early years part of the reason I didn't know BOC allowed accounts for private customers was that I didn't know anyone who could afford their equipment other than companies like The National Coal Board; as a kid we regarded food and clothes as luxuries and I've mentioned previously that our cottage didn't even have mains electricity until I was about five years of age; it was coal fire for heating with only cold water and gas for lights.

1963 I reached the age of 16 then by law I was allowed to use BOC equipment as I was huge machinery with proper qualified training first; The National Coal Board had extremely strict safety rules after all lives depended on what we did both above and below ground; you Sandy and I have been around the block a few times but these days it's amazing that anyone can stroll into a store and walk out with equipment like chainsaws without the slightest bit of training but then it's called progress?

I were taught gas and arc welding but have never tried TIG or MIG welding never having the need but now having funds Bron and I can indulge in our respective hobbies; even now TIG welding isn't a cheap hobby and few hobby workshops will have such welders in fact home workshops are in serious decline; I don't know anyone who has the equipment I have other than people on forums; 50 years ago we played around with push bikes and progressed onto motorcycles many of these having a side car or even just a sidecar chassis these being real fun on left hand bends; all the big bikes were fitted with a steering damper and if this wasn't adjusted with a side car fitted thumbs between petrol tank and handlebars soon found out with a massive tank slapper? Good old days.

I've watched many TIG welding videos on YouTube and they are mostly American who weld aloooominum; Jody seen below is top notch as are others; one guy welds with bare arms which is definitely not recommended;

I've a lot to learn regarding TIG welding but I'm making good progress; I'm having to learn the hard way by watching videos and I've joined a very good MIG welding forum where the members are willing to lead me by the hand as I make all the mistakes a novice makes; I don't know anyone personally who owns a TIG welder.

If you've got a TIG welder Sandy what make/model is it please because I'm nosy? :yahoo:

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 1
          • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            @Retired Living in Sweden we are lucky! One of the better manufacturers is situated here, so that is who I bought mine from. Its an ESAB Caddy Tig 2200i AC/DC. A beautiful machine that is so easy to use its unbelievable! Of course, a big help is that all private houses here have 3 phase electricity. That enables us to buy and use pro level tools...:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Retired

Retired.
              Ratings:
              +5,791
              Hi,

Thanks Sandy. :dbgrtmb:

ESAB are top quality and like BOC have been around forever. All our homes are single phase only unless the owner pays a great deal of money to have 3 phase installed. Years ago I installed my own 3 phase 415V for just under £120 and ran all my big machines from it.

3 phase_0001.JPG
              Scrap welding transformer weighing around 75kg with coils removed; I only needed the laminations and bobbins.

3 phase_0002.JPG
              Winding the transformer using my "Shuttle" idea which worked a treat.

3 phase_0003.JPG

Please note no middle coils; I was following "unique3phase" instructions. Here's Doug the creator of unique3phase sorry I'll not go into lots of details having explained many times; for details contact Doug.

3 phase_0004.JPG

Coils added and hooked up to power for a soak test; this is highly dangerous and I don't encourage anyone to do this as it could prove lethal

A guy in Wales who owned two big farmhouses approached is local electricity supply company asking how much to install 3 phase 415v Just over £17,000 was the quotation.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              If I remember correctly, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, in the UK, "out in the street" is a three phase supply. From this supply, a single phase is taken into the house.

Here, the three phase is taken directly into the house, and divided into the separate phases in the fuse box. In my opinion, this gives some distinct advantages, First, one phase is rarely overloaded. Second, it gives a cheap possibility of 3 phase if needed. Thirdly, using an adaptor, a 16A supply can be taken from the three phase outlet. I do that with my ESAB

@Retired you are probably aware of this as you have stick welded, but did you know that OK rods are from the ESAB concern? They are where the company started once upon a time.

• Retired

Retired.
              Ratings:
              +5,791
              Hi,

Thanks Sandy. :)

Yes we are supplied from 3 phase in the street but not full 3 phase into the bungalow; I'd like 3 phase 415V mains supply into my workshop but it would be expensive; this is why static converters and in recent years VFD's are used as these are much cheaper. We have 100A single phase 240V to our consumer unit but for safety we have a mains 80A fuse fitted. It wasn't a problem to run a 32A socket from the consumer unit protected by a 30A "C" type mcb; my welder used to trip the "B" type breaker even on 32A hence the "C" type breaker currently in use; I plug my 4hp sawbench; 180A oil cooled welder and the Parweld 200A into this socket but I'd have liked 3 phase. 3 phase is much better especially for electric motors eliminating troublesome start/run capacitors and centrifugal switches etc but we make do with what we have.

I'm well aware of ESAB but not their OK electrodes never having seen or used any; I generally use Murex or even Screwfix not being too fussy for my needs and these days I do little welding at all. The last decent welding job was to make new railings.

Welding jobs_0001.JPG
              An interesting welding job making the railings; the steel erecting was an heavy job on my own but I used a winch to give mechanical advantage; the side hung doors I also made; the paint is expensive American Benjamin Moore.

Welding jobs_0001_01.JPG

My home made 4hp saw bench; another nice welding project.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 1
              • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                @Retired two nice projects there.

I'm really surprised that you have never seen or used OK electrodes. I'm lead to believe that they are one of the most common brands, as they have been on the market since the early 1900's...If you ever get the chance, try some OK 48.00 or 43.32 if you are doing thinner material.

• Like Like x 1
                  Last edited: Nov 30, 2019