1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

my hobbies

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by thriftybri, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    @thriftybri I love watching the antique road shows and especially if gold sovereign collections come on :dbgrtmb:

2. thriftybri

thriftybri Gardener

Ratings:
    +209
    never found a gold coin got a silver roman one I found near where I live now found that years ago
    antonius pius 138 to 161 ad the reverse legend mean fair trading.
    008.JPG 009.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      @ I've seen the roman ones on the tele as there was a coin collector like yourself and he didn't do to bad with selling them, as there's loads of coin collectors out there.:)

• Like Like x 1
      • thriftybri

thriftybri Gardener

Ratings:
        +209
        loads still buried in the ground

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          My wife and her friend have recently expressed an interest in metal detecting. What would be a descent entry model detector to buy?

G.

• Like Like x 2
          • thriftybri

thriftybri Gardener

Ratings:
            +209
            that a million dollar question, they range from 100 pounds to over 2000 pounds don't buy cheap,
            I am not a bells and whistles man im a switch on and go, I own a Tesoro silver sabre 2 I had had it for nearly 25 years served me well, I also own a laser scout detector, there are machines that just detect on land or seashore or both,i suggest you contact a dealer who does second hand machines they will be more than happy to let you try some, im a member of a forum if you mention the forums name you get 10% discount, if they are really interested pm me with there location and I will see if there,s, a dealer nearby and I will give details of the forum im on joining is free the forum layout is very similar to this one you will be made more that welcome I will see to that

• Informative Informative x 1
            • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
              +10,302
              This is a good starter model Garrett Ace 250 Metal detector with FREE Next Working Day Delivery | eBay its not a bad all rounder you can pick used ones up cheaper,

Its a great hobby only issue is getting permission to detect, lots of peeps go at night trespassing/stealing and it gives genuine peeps who have interest in the hobby a bad name farmers are reluctant to give permission due to this we call them night hawkers, you could always go to the beach if you have one near though,

There's a few open rallies that you could go on while your trying to get permission of your own, you would have to check what's available in your area, any questions please shout up :).

• Like Like x 2
              • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                +10,302
                I got this through the post yesterday, these people don't rush 2015 i handed this in, i cant even remember the item and what farm i found it on, hopefully i will get to see a picture at some point to jog my memory , i have a few items in the museum maybe another one :).
                DSC_0100.JPG

• Like Like x 3
                • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                  Ratings:
                  +4,411
                  When I was digging out my koi pool, I had to go down to nearly six feet to get in the bottom drain, I discovered my only "digging find." The land on which our houses were built was formerly farmland. What I found was a glazed earthenware half pint beer bottle, which had the brewer's name on it. I guess some agricultural worker must have chucked it away after consuming his lunch. I cleaned it up and took it indoors. A few days later I asked my wife where it was. She'd chucked it out!

• Like Like x 2