1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My passion when I used to be me

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by ThePlantAssassin, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,791
    Hi,

Thanks Sandy. I agree that any vehicle is capable of killing but when it comes to a crash with a motorcycle or a modern car the car I would prefer to be in. I too used to say speed can get me into trouble as it can get me out of trouble; these days I keep my speed to the legal speed limit hoping to avoid trouble; Bron and I have just returned from a garden center and a bike passed us at about warp 9; the rider was enjoying him/herself; just a bang as it passed us; a car also shot past us only for us to pull in behind it at the queue through Flockton village; was it worth risking the driving licence just to gain one car length whilst annoying other legal road users. I admit I've calmed down a great deal since I got married and I reckon Bron was the making of me.

When we first married we owned a Citroen 2CV this having absolutely terrific acceleration of 0/60mph in about two weeks. :biggrin:

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,608
      Congratulations to you and Bron on your wedding anniversary @Retired.

:hapflower:

• Like Like x 2
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Congrats Colin & Bron. Truly, how I wish we lived closer. What evenings we could spend together going over the past. Not jusy motorbikes but also our shared interest in engineering. My old police sign off...Stay Safe.

Back to the thread. Especially today, bikes and cars are built for speed and comfort. I remember prior to to joining the police. My dad accompanied me whilst driving under 'L' plates. I failed my test and decided to take some lessons. I'll always remember it. The school car was a Standard 8. Main problem to give a hand signal, you had to be a contortionist. Never mind. My instructor realising I could drive directed me to the A20 Sidcup By-Pass, just walking distance from my present home. This was before the 70MPH came to be. OK Mike. Lets get it out of your system. Go on put your foot down and see what this car can do. To this day, I consider that was probably the best lesson I ever had. I passed my motorcycle test first time. Then joining the police and applying to be a Trafpol. Here driving took on a new look. It was so intense and more than once I have to admit. Should I have bought a spare set of underware. On the police advanced driving course(cars). In those days we only had a gong/bell to warn of our approach. Fair do's not as much traffic on the roads then , but so often life dangled in the unknown.

The motorcycle advance training and test was even more frightening. I believe now the test has been made much easier as, sadly so many cops lost their lives whilst doing the finals. Basically you ere retaught how to ride. Then how to ride safely at speed. A typical ride out. One, perhaps two age old cops leading, setting the pace. Perhaps ten or more learners. At the rear two old timmers. You were expected to keep up with the leaders. It was like the local milkmand and his horse and cart. Milkie could fall asleep but the horse knew the route and would get you home. So a typical run, off you'd go. This is nice, a day in the country. Then the leaders world openup. This is great but..................................but.. what happens if I skid, what happens if I get a blow-out, what happens if. These are thought that at this point suddenly run through each and every riders mind.. So so sadly this is wher the test came to a devasting end end for many a bike rider. Sush thought suddenly took over. The riders power of concentration became blurred despite whatever speed you were doing. '''''''''CRASH. Run out of road. So sad. I believe at least the Met Police have now stopped this type of test.

Back to the forum. I have my memories, good and bad. Even as a traffic cop on two wheels, at times I rode in fear. However something gets in your blood, seeing and chatting about bikes. I find I have this thirst to sit astride a bike again and live life to the full. So Cindy how about a ride ou with an 80 yr old????

Stay Safe.
        Mike.

• Like Like x 1
        • Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,791
          Hi,

Thanks Sheal & Mike for your welcome congratulations which Bron and I fully appreciate. :)

Oh dear Mike; just imagine you and I getting together with over 100 years of riding and driving to catch up on without even venturing into old fashioned steam days engineering when we actually physically controlled machines like lathes rather than just push buttons as now; we'd never get anything done; I wish you were our neighbour though and I'd happily lend you an oil can.

I too can remember the old Standard 8 & 10's Mike in fact I worked at the Red Lion Standard/Triumph garage in Ossett on Owl Lane; TR2/s and TR3's were common then; one car we had in was an AC Ace which was a lovely looking sports car; I'm pretty sure it was OHC when most engines were pushrod; many I worked on had white metal bearings and side valves; Land Rover's used to have overhead inlet and side exhaust valves but it's a lifetime gone by.

Motorcycles have always been highly dangerous however you look at them and many good lives needlessly lost through them to speed and mistakes. My chum Steve (Norton 650 cc SS) and I (Norton 750 cc Atlas) had just been joking about a biker couldn't be classed as a biker until having come off which I never had; I rode away heading home and only traveled about 100 yards before being carted away by ambulance having suffered an head on crash with a frozen up car being driven by a moron unable to see even the bonnet. This was in 1970 and I still only have one knee cap.

An 80 year old on a modern missile would be something else Mike? :rasp:

Kind regards, Colin.

• lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,988
          Belated Anniversary wishes to you both.:grphg:

• Like Like x 1