1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Myxomatosis

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by wiseowl, May 7, 2019.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,816
    Myxomatosis

I grew up with this dreadful rabbit disease in the 1950's and this morning it is still here in Kent 70 years later,not so much a moan just sad and mad:mad:,its a slow lingering end and created by man:dunno:

Myxomatosis first reached the UK in 1953 after it was introduced as a control measure in Kent, but inadvertently resulted in the deaths of 99 percent of the rabbit population only three years later.

There are now renewed fears that the potentially fatal viral disease caused by blood sucking insects is behind the mysterious surge in the recent deaths of hares in Suffolk and Norfolk.

P1310755.JPG

• Agree Agree x 4
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,714
      Not seen it recently myself but have heard it's making a comeback :frown:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,868
        Few years back we had a few around here with mixy, but it's now gone but so have the rabbits but not dew to mixy ;)

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,271
        Myxomatosis killed 99% of rabbits when introduced, however rabbits evolved and the population bounced back, with sporadic outbreaks of the disease killing off large numbers. In the 90's Viral Haemorrhagic Disease 1 (VHD1) arrived which again killed off large numbers of rabbits. Unlike myxomatosis this was spread by contact between animals. Then a few years ago VHD2 arrived in the wild rabbit population.
        Last autumn this story Disease mystery over hare deaths appeared and it would appear that hares are now catching myxomatosis or VHD; the viruses having evolved and crossed the species barrier.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: May 7, 2019
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,374
          We had a really bad outbreak a few years back now and for some reason all the infected bunnies seemed to head for our garden from the surrounding woods, and fields. Such a horrid disease with a lingering death. I ended up taking several to our local vet, just couldn't stand to see them suffering so. The vet was brilliant and knowing how upsetting it all was to me on finding new rabbits in the garden nearly every day , he willing did 'the deed' with no charge. His nurse even phoned me to let me know they were at peace.

• Like Like x 2