1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nesting Box Location

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by WilliamF, Feb 1, 2012.

1. WilliamF

WilliamF Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Someone has recommended that now is a good time to hang a nesting box in my back yard. Can anyone advise me if there are any do's/do not's to consider in term of where I mount the nesting box? Cheers

2. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Hi WilliamF - and welcome to GC. You will find all the garden advice you need here from the very many experienced and knowledgeable members who will be delighted to help you get the most of your garden, be it on the country estate scale, or like most of us, a more modest plot.

Now, nest boxes. Many people like to have the boxes in place in autumn so that there is roosting for small birds overwinter - but this time of year is also ideal, St Valentines day is when traditionally the birds as well as us humans turn our thoughts .......

Have a look at this link which may give you some hints: British Garden Birds - Nest Boxes

But you could also look at the RSPB site and I'm sure there are others.

a-a

• Like Like x 1
    • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,946
      Hi WilliamF

I found the RSPB site very useful, i have attached a link the nestbox page.

The RSPB: Advice

Rusty

• Like Like x 1
      • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
        +1,663
        We have a nest box just outside the front window, with a little perch to enable the parent to feed without having to go inside.
        It's fascinating watching the comings and goings - and the birds don't seem to mind.

If possible it might be nice to mount one so that you can also get the pleasure from the birds activities. Don't forget the birds need to have a good approach run as well.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Positions for Nest boxes will differ from garden to garden, but if you remember not to position it in full sun, or where the fledglings can die from overheating. Also it has to be of a height where it's not accessible to cats.

This one faces North on my rear fence:

[​IMG]

While this one is situated in the roof of my Arbour, and so kept cool, facing West, and you can see the hole where the birds will have access:

[​IMG]

I have another facing East on the bank of my pond which will be sheltered from the Sun, and cats, by climbing roses.

• Like Like x 2
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Thats normally when the Stupid Pigeons start calling again after their winter silence, but this year they've been singing since Christmas.

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
          +1,663
          Is that a Mobile phone you've supplied for them A?:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            :heehee::heehee::heehee: It's actually a piece of wooden carving that cost me 50p in a car boot sale and which I sprayed gold. gcc!! It'S supposed to be a spire just to make it look interesting, and probably somewhere for the birds to sit............I just typed the wrong word there but had to amend it to avoid censor......a mental slip:heehee::heehee::D

• Like Like x 1
            • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
              Ratings:
              +6,654
              Depending on your budget and if you can site it within range of a tv?, Aldi have some bird boxes in with cameras fitted so you can see what's going on inside, for just over £40, not bad when you consider more or less the same box is in the pet shop over the road from our Aldi store for £90 !