Netting v painting glass

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by MrHappyDays, Apr 17, 2024.

1. MrHappyDays

MrHappyDays Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I ve noticed from a different thread that netting seems to be the most popular option as opposed to painting glass with greenhouse paint.

What are the advantages of painting? and are there any advantages of my young plants getting direct sunshine instead of just getting the warmth?

A bit of background - My objectives for whatever option is to keep temperature lower (I assume because its good for maximum growth of young seedlings) and to avoid leaf scorching of plants.

Last year was my first year of having a greenhouse and used netting down one vertical wall but I had problems attaching it; it looked messy and I didn't have a way of shading the lean to part of the glass up to the apex. Consequently I ended up painting other parts of the glass to protect them.

This year I've painted with greenhouse paint over the side wall and roofing area of one side of the greenhouse that gets most of the sun. It keeps the temp down , and lot less direct sun to the plants.

Would love to hear your comments!

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,207
    Depends on the time of year as now in Spring, you want maximum light, however like yesterday, between the showers, the sun can be almost too strong and the temperature easily climbes to over 30c so we put some netting over the roof, just held on with some timber battens so it can be removed and rolled up at night.

Into later May we will paint the glazing with Vitax shading, though in the hottest of summer days we may also have to but on the netting as well.

Ventilation is equally as important, you can get solar fans, but you need a big panel to get anything like a decent air flow.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,305
      I used old bamboo blinds draped over the apex and down the south side. I used to paint with that white proprietary stuff but once it's on its on, with netting or blinds you can easily take them off on the many cloudy days. The paint is difficult to get off for the winter.

• Like Like x 3
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,320
        Lots of trees so my biggest problem is getting enough sunlight.
        Years ago I did use the brush on shading .

• Informative Informative x 2
        • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
          Ratings:
          +1,697
          Years ago I did the whole netting/shade painting lark. Nowadays, all plants have to man up pretty quickly as I can't be doing with all that stuff....plus I just cover them with some poundshop fleece if it's particularly sunny and light enough to not cause damage

• Like Like x 4
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +937
            We have a polytunnel so can't paint but it came with an optional green net when we bought it. It gets stretched over the outside in mid May and stays on till mid September.

We do get very bright sunshine here (near the Côte de la Lumière) and temps in the mid 40s in recent summer heatwaves. We leave the doors open at either end and have had no problems with plants overheating or burning.

• Like Like x 2
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,207
              [QUOTE="JWK, post: 1471419, member: 2877"The paint is difficult to get off for the winter./QUOTE]

You want to try a bottle of the Vitax Greenhouse Shading, very ecomonic and comes off easily with either a dry duster or if damp /wet with soapy water and a cloth.

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • MrHappyDays

MrHappyDays Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +7
                Thank you. Thats the one I use. My wife moans that it doesn't look pleasing on the eye and said could I put a second coat on! (I declined)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +46,305
                Trouble is you can't just quickly remove it on a cloudy day/week.

• Like Like x 1
                • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
                  Ratings:
                  +207
                  I must admit I would probably be agreeing with Mrs @MrHappyDays I couldn’t bear looking at it all the time if there any smeary or missed bits. But of course the thicker it is the less light on those cloudy days, I would have to walk down the garden squinting to avoid looking at it. I drive my OH mad sometimes as I can’t bear sitting anywhere and having a picture in my eyeline that’s not absolutely straight. Problems is sometimes you find out the fixings aren’t too great if you try and tweak it :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,207
                    Know what you mean, often tried to come up with a practical idea for some automatic variable shading using slats or roller blinds etc operated by a motor or linear actuator but finding some material strong and light enough and that can withstand some wind etc hard to find without spending a fortune ... easier to make and fit to the inside but as we know* less effecive at keeping the heat out.
                    * Does anyone know how much difference there is between inside and outside shading ?

• Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
                    +250
                    I do much the same. I have an old rattan blind on the south side and drape green netting over the apex which I leave on unless it rains. However I am retired and can run in and out adjusting things. If you are at work all day the paint might be better.

• Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
                    +250
                    I think outside shading works better at cooling as it prevents the rays getting through the glass in the first place.

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +392
                    I just thrown old lace curtains or duvet covers over the top of my greenhouse, tied down at the corners onto the guttering. I have even used an old plastic blue tarpaulin. It usually goes on in May and stays on until the end of the growing season when I take it down, put it through the washing machine then folded and put away until next year. I always leave the window and door fully open no matter what the weather right through the summer. I grow tomatoes, cucumbers and gherkins. None of this on/off, open/close thing for me. Once my plants are in the greenhouse they have to man up. So far since moving here, I have never had a problem with lack of pollination, bugs or blight. despite being unable to grow tomatoes outside due to blight.
                    The only action I take is to wash down the inside and outside of the greenhouse each year thoroughly, with diluted Jeyes Fluid then hose down. I put a few slug pellets around the inside of the base before replacing the weed matting and slabs.
                    My greenhouse runs SE-NW and is unshaded by anything so has sun from morning until evening. I am out in the sticks in Cornwall with uncultivated fields surrounding my garden.

• Like Like x 1