1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Aquarium

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Fat Controller, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,570
    I am convinced he got himself stuck somewhere, as he had an injury to his face (left side) that appeared quite literally overnight. He was quite a boisterous fish - not aggressive in the least, just full of beans, and was almost always bombing about the tank. We tried treating with a couple of bottles from API (Melafix and Pimafix?), but they clearly weren't enough.

I am not back to work full time - building up the number of days that I am doing each week, burning off holiday for the other days, and slowly getting back into the swing of things. I have considerably more mobility than it was suggested I would get back, and I kinda hope/think that is as a direct result of the exercises etc that I did with Mrs C (now, now, take your mind back out of the gutter :biggrin:)

We had a feeling that those guppies were getting near dropping point, so bought a wee cheap plastic thing that sticks on the inside of the tank - it has a three chambers, two in the top (small) and one large one in the bottom all with slots so the water can flow through them - the top two chambers can be made into one (which I think is kinder), and the idea is that they give birth and the fry drop through into the bottom where they can stay safe until big enough to look out for themselves; it was only a few quid from Amazon, so nothing fancy. Question is, when do we put the fish into it, as I don't want to be cruel and keep them in a relatively small space for too long?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,570
      Nice controller by the way - is it self contained, or are you using an Arduino to run it?

• Like Like x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        Hi,

Though they may appreciate the safety of that separate area, getting them into it might cause more stress than being pestered by the other fish ...?
        Would think in your large tank it will be a job to net them, then can move when they need to !

Can you suspend it in the tank and see if they move into it by themselves then slowly raise it up so it makes them isolated.

Without sounding cruel, even if the fry survived you are going to have too many in the tank and because they will probably not be true colours the shops may not want to take them in .... ?

Yup its the proverbial Arduino , though I used Microchip Pics for previous ones.

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,570
          Its not so much the being pestered by other fish, it is the being eaten by other fish - apparently as the parents give birth, the fry naturally drop - and this wee tank as a V-shape to the bottom of the top chamber, with a slit running the length of the valley of the V. The fry fall through the slit into the bottom, and the parents are too big to fit through to eat them - parents can come out immediately after birth, and the fry remain in the bottom chamber for a couple of weeks until they are big enough to not be eaten.

If it were just me, I would let nature take its course and if they got eaten..... well, that would be that. However, we have a fish midwife in the house in the form of Mrs C, and those wee babies are to be nurtured and given every chance. As for the number of fish, we have a neighbour who has a near empty tank at the moment and they would welcome some new additions so that is one avenue for them - that, and I am now back at work so can easily offer them to a staff base of over 3000, if we do get to the point where we have too many. Of the last set of babies, three survived (one died, one got eaten we think).

You are ahead of me with the Arduino - never touched one, and to be honest I don't really have the brainspace to even think about one at the minute.

• Like Like x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,203
            Hi,

Think I would leave it to Mrs C to do all the catching, seems the fry can take fine flake, but need many small feeds per day.

While am sure its an interesting and rewarding , Guppies are so common you might be disappointed trying to pass them on, unless their colours are very good.

You can buy new or s/h small tanks for a few pounds, which might be a better home for the fry, easier to look after away from the main tank or you could have a kind of small hang on tank, just above yours and let some water be pumped into it and overflow back into the main tank.

The Arduino are ideal for these darker winter nights, everything is free apart from your own hardware where you only need spend £3 to £5 on a little clone board to get started.
            Thought it would have been right up your techno street ..?

001173.jpg 001172.jpg

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,570
            Good God, don't go mentioning second hand tanks, or we will have a bloomin' houseful! :biggrin: Seriously, Mrs C is a Menagerie looking for a place to happen :snorky: - we can but wait and see at the moment, we're still very early on in keeping fish and there is currently tons of room in the tank, so I am not overly worried. Those that get eaten, get eaten, as far as I am concerned, and I will deal with the rest as the problems arise - I don't really want to get myself in a tizzy about things that might not even happen.

Water change of around 45% today, filters given a clean and the carbon is back into the cannister filter - hopefully that will ensure that they are all happy.

To be honest, I cannot be bothered much techie wise - I haven't even lifted a soldering iron since coming out of hospital. Beside anything else, I don't have the dexterity in my hands that I had, and all my concentration has been taken up with getting back on my feet, and being able to walk up stairs etc. It is odd, but everything seems to take four or five times more energy than it used to or should - even things like getting dressed, so when it comes to even considering something like an Arduino, it is not happening at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,203
              Hi FC,

Forgot to ask about how your plants are doing ? the ebay ones I got are doing well apart from one variety.

I did buy one of these Cardamine plants from a LFS for £2 a loose bunch ; its a very fast grower, partic vertically , can be hacked back as needed, see video below, and to me looks very good.

Cardamine lyrata - Tropica Aquarium Plants

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,570
                Very much a mixed bag with the plants - the ebay ones haven't been great to be honest, of the lot I ordered I think only three or four types have actually thrived. I got a nice one a couple of weeks ago - an underwater spider plant for want of a better description - thick bladed leaves and variegated. That is a nice looking plant - dense enough for the fish to hide, yet not overly so that they cannot wriggle out of it.

The potted plants generally seem to be better, and although they are a two or three quid each, they are better value I think.

We awoke this morning to five wee guppy fry, so we have spent a couple of hours catching them and they are now installed in the wee tank thing that is now hanging on the inside of the tank. We suspect it was the orange fish that gave birth to them, as her shape has changed a bit since yesterday. We also think she has more to come, but are still not sure about putting her in the top chamber of the breeding tank, as it would restrict her greatly and seem cruel?

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,765
                  I'm my experience both with guppies and endlers...I transfer the pregnant female to another tank around 18x10x10 inches keeping her well fed and fill the tank with Najas Grass to prevent predation. Guppy females can store male milt and have subsequent broods without ever being near another male fish for up to eight months...pretty soon you'll be over run with this prolific fish species

• Like Like x 3
                  • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,765
                    Livefood Larder
                    larder.jpg

• Like Like x 3
                    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,203
                      Not the place to go to for a midnight snack by mistake ! :snorky:

Would be interesting to know what they contain and how you keep / breed(?) whatever they are ?

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,765
                        Because its heated...
                        Wingless Fruit Fly
                        Chlorella Algae
                        Vinegar Eel
                        Microworm
                        Grindalworm
                        Infusoria
                        Brineshrimp Hatchery

to name but a few lol others are cultured separately akin to their needs
                        I have pictorial articles somewhere must dig them out if interested

• Like Like x 2
                        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,203
                          Have seen the Brine Shrimp and Infusoria methods from my marine days but the other ones sound almost gory halloween types :yikes:

Just on a different note wonder if you have any suggestions for a suitable fish for my little 40cm cube thats stocked with well growing plants.

I have 3 ottos and 4 guppies that have plenty of activity around the whole tank but not sure a small shoal of typical tetras in such a cube shape would be ideal for them (?) but would like say one or two small compatible fish with a bit of character , if you know what I mean..?

Know Gouramis seem suitable but many of the really dwarf ones I have seen in the shops seem so nervous and shy.

• Like Like x 1
                          • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
                            +1,765
                            It is rather a small space @ricky101 perhaps Sparkling Gourami Trichopsis pumila or
                            Boraras brigittae (small species of Rasbora) & Corydoras habrosus
                            With regular waterchanges of matching parameters you should be ok

• Like Like x 1
                            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +4,203
                              Hi,

Thanks for that, think I will look at the Corydoras, seems like they will fit in to the tanks theme better.

The only reservation is that they are said to need a lower ph, but my water is staying quiet high at around 7.6 ( API).
                              The ottos and gups seem happy with it but not sure how I can reduce it as the tap water is around the same and the RO water I use ( from my marine days) comes out clean but when I use Seachems Equilibrium it gives PH 7.6+, dKH 1 and GH 4-5 , TDS 142 even after a days circulation and heating.

In the tank I am getting about the same but the dKH is up to 3, so looks like the sand/gravel /rocks are leaching a little bit, though probably a good thing ? ( passed the vinegar fizz test ok)

• Like Like x 1