1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Nikon

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by strongylodon, Nov 22, 2016.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    GIMP is free and well regarded, Strongy. Then there#s Photoscape, Paint.NET, Pixlr, Fotor:snorky:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    DPP Appears to be a Canon specific product and my first guess was that Canon and Nikon use different file extensions for RAW files, so Googled for somthing along those lines and ...

Canon cameras the RAW format looks like .CR2 and for Nikon it's .NEF
    Using File Explorer (rather than manufacturer's software) to check the SD card will confirm the file extensions being used.

• Informative Informative x 2
      Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,872
      Good afternoon @strongylodon I have just got this off a friend,he's a bit of a photographic buff,so the explanation might be a bit tricky,hope it helps:smile:

Presumably the copy of NX2 you have came with the camera and it can read the raw (NEF) files? I have no idea what format NTC is, presumably it's a Nikon internal format of some type. The software can export either as a self contained file or directly to Photoshop or similar. Unfortunately I'm at work and my NX2 is at home But under one of the main menu headings (probably either File or Edit) there will be an option called Preferences or Options or Setup or similar. In there you should find a section dealing with file conversion which allows you to set and optimize the output file type to one of your choice -usually TIFF (best for maximum quality if further processing is needed) or JPEG.

IIRC conversion is under the File heading in the menu bar and you will probably have options for single conversion (exports the current image) and batch conversion ( for multiple files. Clicking either should bring up a dialog box allowing to to refine the output if required and, in the case of the batch conversion, select the files to export. Select the file type, output size, export location etc. and the press OK - to expotrt as the file type of choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,498
        I will give that try @wiseowl although due to my impatience I deleted most of yesterday's pics out of frustration! I had a go this morning BUT I shot in jpeg. Some came out OK even when cropped but I still need practice in focusing, not quite there yet.
        Cropped and lightened bit with Windows 10 Photo Gallery basic editing aids.
        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,872
          Hi @strongylodon my friend another cracking image thanks for sharing:smile:
          I tried shooting in Raw/Jpeg a few months ago but that gave me double the images ,120 turned in to 240 so time consuming and a long time on my laptop;):smile:

ps.I used Paintshop Pro X8 :smile:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
            Ratings:
            +6,626
            Nice picture :thumbsup:
            On the focusing @strongylodon do you use af-c or af-s ?p and what focus point are you using single,9,21,39?
            Do you use back button focusing?
            I found it tricky at first but getting the hang of it now

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
            Ratings:
            +28,498
            @mowgley I set it on 39 point and the focus point on af-s for single shooting.
            Where is the back button?
            Also it seems you can't zoom in on your shots in review, When I looked at them they were out of focus but were clear when uploaded to the PC.
            I can't find a crop on camera feature as on Bridge cameras so I assume it is thought that with a DSLR you are going to do it if required in post processing.
            I used auto and programmed today as a beginner!:smile:

Any more hint/tips will be welcomed.

• Like Like x 1
            • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,626
              @strongylodon I found this guy on YouTube very helpful.
              When shooting flowers or wildlife I use single or 9 point on af-c.
              His videos will explain it loads better than I can :snorky:

Hope these help

• Useful Useful x 1
              • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,089
                You can download the NEF codec from the Nikon site and that should allow you to view RAW images using your existing viewers.................
                http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/87.html

I use IrfanView as my primary photo viewer. It is freeware and very simple to use for cropping, resizing and converting RAW (NEF) to JPEG..............
                http://www.irfanview.com/

The beauty of RAW as it was explained to me is that it saves a more literal digital interpretaion (JPEG is a more assumed digital conversion), the downside is that the file sizes are significantly larger.

As far as getting to know your new camera all I can say is spend some time in the garden with it in manual exposure mode and play with the settings (shutter speed, aperture, image enhancement etc) and see what works best. The worst that can happen is that they're rubbish and you bin them. Manual settings are an intuitive thing and it comes with experience. Ultimately manual settings will produce the best images.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  I only use RAW as JPEG representation is something that the camera has "cooked" up and is something the Camera Manufacturer thinks we want. RAW is easy to process and once you know what balance you want, after practice, it only takes seconds to get the image you think is correct.:dunno::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                    +10,302
                    Hi all advice please,

I've just bought the D3300 i would have preferred the D5300 but just out of my price range,

My budget was around the same price as one but i'm wanting a macro lens,

I've read through this thread and some useful advice for using my new camera many thanks, I'm in the same boat as @strongylodon only used to using a bridge, i guess its getting hands on and using it,

Anyhow i have around £200 to spend on a macro lens, what lens size would i need ? any recommendations please.
                    IMG_4909.JPG IMG_4910.JPG IMG_4913.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Hi Martin, for specifically Macro I would recommend a 90mm to 100mm lens. As for recommending a branded lens I would go for a Sigma or a Tamron. They are specific lenses manufacturers and have a great reputation. You would need to buy one with the appropriate mounting to fit your camera but that's not a problem. Buying a Nikon macro lens would cost you more than the camera and with no great gain. I use both Tamron and Sigma lenses for macro and they are more than excellent.:love30::coffee::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                        Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
                      • martin-f

Ratings:
                        +10,302
                        Thank you A i will have a look on the net, ive just had a quick play with it in the garden and it looks like i will also need one for distance as well at a later date,

I could have bought a package with a 16-55 and 70-300mm lens but wasn't sure if the 70-300mm would have been suitable for my needs so went for the 16-55, early days but i can already see a difference from my older camera, fly's hairs are more in focus, a bit of knowlage using it and a macro lens should make more improvement,

I will have to get out of the habit of looking at the screen to take a picture :wallbanging::loll:, best of 20 shots of various things.
                        aaaaaaaaaaaa.PNG fdfdddddddddddddddddd.PNG

• Like Like x 5
                          Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
                        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +23,089
                          There'll be no looking back now @martin-f :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                          • martin-f

Ratings:
                            +10,302
                            Its something ive wanted for a while longk, its my third camera in as many years, others have been bridge £120/140, the spec on this is better than my others and I'm quite sure once i learn the basics and have the correct lens my photos should improve :fingers crossed:, time will tell :).