1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New PC needed

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Palustris, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Unless you need a graphics card to do some heavy lifting, you can almost pick any PC. and since designated graphic cards are REALLY expensive nowadays, this can make a difference worth a few hundred pounds.
    My favorite would be to go to Amazon, type in "office-PC" and look at some of the things they sell there (no need to buy them there if you dont want to, but nicve to get an overview).

Watch out if they have an SSD (good) or only a HDD (bad). Then go with a low end offer still able to run Win 11 (this will probably be advertised).

Edit:
    Stay clear from anything "micro", "mini" or "extra small". You want a big tower with lots of air circulation. Its easier to clean and to maintain resulting in longer life.

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Thanks. Have sent a link to our second son who is the expert asking for his opinion.

3. Purple Streaks

Purple Streaks Gardener

Ratings:
    +720
    It's HP for us

and after checking out currys etc ,check out direct with the computer company for offers . It's surprising how much cheaper this can be .it's easier to discuss what your looking for plus I ask what can you throw in ?

Well I am from Yorkshire ,..... long pockets and short arms !!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
      +598
      I have tended to avoid the big stores as they could not give me the pc I wanted without big costs added on.
      So I had a small form tower pc that has lasted 10 years and still going with 8gb with a 2 gb graphics card and 240 gb Ssd drive and a touch screen monitor and i3 processor.
      So I wanted something a little less intrusive in size so I looked about for something smaller but faster, so I ended up with this.
      I bought an all in one Lenovo and it’s spec is

i5 processor
      2tb Ssd drive ( Samsung )
      16 gb ram
      Touch screen 24” monitor
      2gb Graphics card
      DVD drive
      Cost is £400
      But I will sell my old pc so cost will be about £250, a lot less than the £1000 plus I could of spent with a shop buy

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Recently ? that price seems very, very low ??

If we could find a new one with that spec and that price we would order one today.

• jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
      +598
      Yes it is low and has 12 months guarantee
      The initial cost was lower but I upgraded the ram and Ssd drive and graphics so took these into account.
      Can’t see the need to spend 100s to do what I want, it also has a hdmi in port so has a Roku stick to watch on demand tv

• Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
      Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
      Ratings:
      +6,780
      From where did you buy it, if you don't mind me asking?

• jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
      +598
      I’ve looked them up on eBay and they are from Birmingham been on there since 2010 and with good reviews

• Like Like x 1