1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New to alpines.

Discussion in 'Alpine Gardening' started by Kitte, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Kitte

Kitte Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +78
    I have recently planted up this old trough/sink, which was sitting on top of a concealed inspection chamber in my inherited outside space. The landscapers couldn’t get it off without breaking the bottom, but that didn’t matter as I figured it was good drainage!

I put it all together again, gave it a coat of paint and planted it up with some alpines and most of my semper virens. The stones were rescued from a bed.

Have I got away with it ? Any advice welcome on further care !
    BEF29E68-E22F-4C06-AD2F-24C198CC9F3C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,200
      It looks pretty. Alpines like good drainage so I hope you've mixed some grit into the compost.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,689
        That's really pretty @Kitte , well done! :)

The sharp, rectangular shape of the container contrasts well with the plants, very contemporary and skandi style.

Next year when you see what grows well in there it might be an idea to raise the soil level to be nearly flush with the top so that plants can spill out a bit. Alpines are great and there is a huge number of interesting, hardy succulents to consider too. Welcome to Surreal Succulents | Surreal Succulents is a reliable shop.

Please keep us posted on the progress. :)

• Kitte

Kitte Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +78

Thanks ! I did absolutely, and the bottom is all in pieces, so the drainage won’t be a problem !

• Like Like x 1
        • Kitte

Kitte Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +78

Now how did you know I’m from Scandinavia ???

I do realise, that the soil level should be higher and I take your point. It was a case of running out of compost and my back aching due to a broken vertebra, so time was at the essence ! I just had to get the plants in as quickly as possible, they had stood for a while and needed TLC. I shall do as you suggested and have another crack next year.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,689
          Strong, pure white rectangular shape... the hint is there :biggrin: (I'm a Finn :))

I hope your back is ok, all that bending and lifting can be challenging. The nice thing is that gardening doesn't really have strict deadlines and often it's a good idea to leave things for a year or so just to observe how things go.

With draught tolerant plants I cheat and fill the bottom of the container with any rubble there is, and only use compost on the top of the container, depending of the pot and the plants. Great way to get rid of broken plastic plant pots, broken bricks and cups etc. :)

• Kitte

Kitte Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +78

I’m from Denmark!