1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Topics for 2014?

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Kristen, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    The only reason they were limited to 1,000 posts what that vBulletin wasn't able to support it. xF can and it's not a problem from the system's point of view.

But if you think this would make the board tidier and more user-friendly, then by all means.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    My main thought was that the long threads could be "purged" at some point (reclaiming some diskspace I assume), which would require starting a new thread as a pre-requisite. Also, whilst there doesn't seem to be a problem with xF it would be a bore to be the first to discover there there is one ... although I'm sure there are other forum sites with longer threads.

But I don't have any strong feelings about it. I don't read any of those social threads, so only mentioned them in case folks wanted to consider starting new threads periodically (e.g. Annually :) )

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I agree with you Kristen there are a lot of social threads that should be kept shorter I think.. I like the idea of yearly threads anyway.. looks tidier, easier to move around the board etc & will also help in searches too.... I am working my way through a lot of them.. Feel free to PM me of any specifics Kristen & I will see what I can do....

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Sometimes, mainly during in the early hours, I'm amazed to see around 50 'Guests' apparently all avidly reading a year old 'what's your weather like' thread.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Probably Bots Scrunge :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,177
          What's a BOT please?
          Jenny

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Jenny BOTS (robots ) or spiders are little programs that the sites like Google send out to index websites . There are 77 on this site as I post . They do an amazing job . I posted a Canna photo on here , and maybe twenty minutes later I was searching on Google images............ "that Canna photo looks just like my back garden?", it was my photo Googled and indexed in 20 minutes !

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Yup, they crawl GC at an amazing speed. When I was doing my own website they could take upto 6 weeks to index stuff.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            And they waste time reading and indexing 2 year old weather reports, and all sorts of out of date nonsense unless it's removed from websites