1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New User

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Kevin Cowans, May 12, 2018.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Hello all

Thanks for all the kind words, it is appreciated.

I did have a look at the section for Disabled Gardeners but from what I saw it was more aimed at Physical Disabilities, however I may need to peruse some more.

I will no doubt be asking many questions so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,880
      Good morning @Kevin Cowans you are most welcome my friend,just ask away:smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
      • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,065
        • Like Like x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi Kevin [​IMG].... like myself mate done loads of studying on your health...as the saying goes knowledge is the best [​IMG] plus there's many forms of Autism as I have that involvement with my one type of epilepsy and it causes many issues.

Sometimes Kevin it's down to what you put in your search engine and I do hope you can start your garden plus we're all here to help you along the way :)

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
          +1,065
          Hello Gail

Thanks for the kind words.

I too suffered with Epilepsy, Partial Complex Seizures, when I was in my twenties which has now stabilised.

It usually affected my balance and some things can still trigger it such as those pictures you see that are usually black and white and consist of spirals, great description I know :)

As you are probably aware there are many forms of Autism as there are of Epilepsy which was at 130(ish) types at my time of diagnosis.

My actual Autism Diagnosis is Aspergers however I also have additional addons which are not usually associated with Aspergers.
          As for the garden, I have just got prices for replacement fencing down one side in the back garden so that will be done in July and then on to the next job which will probably be to replace the shed which is falling apart.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: May 19, 2018
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,616
            Welcome to the forum!

• Like Like x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hi Kevin,

Yes the seizures affect your vision but glad your now stabalised better than me mate, does my head in :phew: there's 135 different types and sorry it's on the level with Aspergers.

Well getting your fencing done will be a start and regarding sheds we have a metal one as that was the main one but since then my hubby buys decking wood and as made two himself otherwise and finds it a lot cheaper but once starting on your garden inspiration will kick in more :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Hi @Kevin Cowans how you keeping and how are things with your garden..have you managed to do anything else besides what you mentioned :)

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
                +1,065
                Hello @Gail_68

Thanks for asking, it is appreciated.

I have started planning for the next few months.

I am getting the following done:

1. Replace fencing down one side in the back garden including gate area with 6' x 5' Feather Edge Panels and 1' Gravel Boards.
                2. New fencing around the front garden between myself and the neighbours and also between my garden and the public pavement consisting of 6' x 2' Feather Edge Panels and 1' Gravel Boards.
                3. Remove old Overlap Shed (6' x 4') which is falling apart and replace it with a new T&G Shed (6' x 6').
                I have also got someone coming out to see about removing the unwanted Shrubs which is too much for me to do, hopefully it will not cost too much.

After I get the above work done I can begin looking at a low maintenance planting plan but the above is going to take me until around September to complete by which time it will be too late for planting, I assume, so I think much of this year will be spent on preparation.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to venture into the garden recently with the weather as it is as I feel like a lobster being given the guided tour of the pan.

With my sensitivities, particularly for light and heat it is very difficult for me at the moment.

At least I have a plan in place, hopefully things will go smoothly.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hello @Kevin Cowans

Nice to hear from you and know your doing ok :)

Well your first three are a good start and who ever moves your unwanted shrubs make sure they do it right mate as you know anyway besides not leaving any drastic mess.

Well at least you'll have all winter to go through how your want your garden for next year with a clear spot to start with.

This made me :heehee: sorry mate :phew:...I have not been able to venture into the garden recently with the weather as it is as I feel like a lobster being given the guided tour of the pan.

The light can be very hurtful and it's better to be careful than taking risks that can harm your health more.:thumbsup:

Well I wish you the very best mate for when your able to get it started and hopefully brighten your days of more enjoyment.

Take care mate [​IMG]