1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie from Plymouth

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by adrian pudner, Apr 30, 2020.

1. adrian pudner

adrian pudner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi , completely new to gardening but hey convince me it’s a fun pursuit!
    tbh I’ve just started to enjoy it after doing my best to avoid it for almost 50 years. Anyway primarily I’ve joined for some advice about how to proceed with turfing my back garden.

we moved in a couple years ago and I haven’t done much apart from strimming the weeds.
    Originally the garden sloped quite a bit so previous owners made the rear garden into 3 tiers. With the bottom tier grass. And a LOT of pampas grass. These were removed at great cost but left the ground very uneven. On trying to dig the ground to level it we discovered they had placed plastic sheets and plastic bags ( compost type bags split open) an inch or two under the surface. So when you stick the fork in you go through the plastic and can’t lift the fork.
    We want to level it and re turf it.
    So my questions are -
    Will I need to remove all the plastic and dig all the weeds out?
    Can I just put Earth / top soil over the top of everything to level it up , then turf on top? It will the weeds come through ?
    Will I need to lay membrane down? or black plastic To kill the weeds first , then lift the plastic up ?

BEB57BB6-BB60-4997-86F1-1D484CB9771A.jpeg 4BA186DF-485F-4DBD-90AD-03313C59601C.jpeg CE7F1A81-D866-4B58-8B7D-D53E6D368F3E.jpeg 921E4BCF-7BE2-46F6-9B6B-186488F682B8.jpeg CFD76347-F7AD-4322-B64A-D85F5832137F.jpeg C94D2661-EAC3-4C6C-B997-5C6790629421.jpeg

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi and Welcome,

Rather strange that you are the second person this week with exactly the same problem of plastic sheets just under the surface !

Instead of repeating things, please have a look at this thread which should answer all your questions.

Helping restore Ma's garden

Anything not clear, just come on back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,612
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner Adrian. :) The plastic was probably put down to keep the weeds down. It's started to perish and the weeds have forced their way back through. You will need to clear the garden of all the plastic and weeds/grass.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,181
      Welcome to the forum. Once you get the plastic up I would try and preserve the terraces, especially as someone in the past has laid quite a lot of slabs. No need to get topsoil in, just remove the weeds, rake level and compact the areas you want for lawn and re-seed.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner, Adrian:love30::thumbsup:

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,374
    • adrian pudner

adrian pudner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
      I’ll give it another go digging out the plastic and report back how I get on.

• Friendly Friendly x 1