1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie from South Wales

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Vjay, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Vjay

Vjay Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

Well after 15months of waiting I have finally got my first allotment today. I am very excited if a little overwhelmed as to how I'm going to clear it (it is a tad overgrown with grass.

I started growing veg in the ground last year before that just using a greenhouse and love growing my herbs for cooking. Personally I'm not a fan of flower gardening.

Here's a piccy ..

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._479035617476_677292476_6402973_5577831_n.jpg

We are going to keep chickens at the bottom of the patch and the rest will be for our veg.

VJ0)

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Vjay and welcome ..
    Certainly got work ahead of you, You will find the chickens will clear the land they occupy.
    I got my allotment earlier this year but it was ploughed so have got on top of it quite well . I am really a flower man but I believe thre are so good veggy folk on here ..

Dave

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Hello and welcome to the forum Vjay :)

That's great news about your allotment. Well you do have a bit of work to clear it out going by your photo, looks like you already have a couple of little 'helpers'. Do a little at a time is all I can suggest. You don't have to clear the whole plot to start with, just do the areas you need. Potatoes are good for conditioning the soil and form a dense cover, smothering weeds, so they are a great crop to clear one of your areas. Keep an eye on what the other holders are doing, they will know what grows well in your local conditions and they will know ehen to plant out etc.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,884
    Hi Vjay welcome to Gardeners Corner:)

[​IMG]

5. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
  6. billo

billo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome vjay,just looking at the photo is making my back ache, but I am sure you will have a great time getting it into shape, good luck

7. lovetogarden

lovetogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and Welcome.....from the other side0)of the world0).

I enjoy gardening so I do both- vegetables and flowers:lollol: