1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nice Picture but......

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Redwing, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    An excellent picture of a Coal Tit is the latest photo competition winner. It is featured on the home page but there is no credit as to whose picture it is or where it was taken. I’ve tried clicking on it, hovering over it but nothing further comes up. Is this a general display problem? An iPad problem? It would be useful to know whose picture it is so I can compliment them. It’s a great picture!

Attention Mods: I posted this in the introduction section because I cannot start a new thread except in the introduction section. “Post new thread” is not an option for me right now except here. Just reporting this as a problem, maybe there is a glitch in the system with iPads.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      Hi @Redwing, on such as small image, we don't really have enough room to put a credit on it that displays permanently - or at least, not without reducing the picture size or adding text over the top. Currently, we do have a further problem with the widget that displays the image in as much as it does not allow us to use a locally hosted image - currently, my workaround is to host it on my personal photo hosting account, until such times as the problem is fixed - the downside of this is that we cannot embed a hotlink to the winning thread. At the moment, the default for the credit of any winning picture is to visit the photo comp thread for the month prior to the month you are currently in, so in this case December

With regard to your Post New Thread problem, that one is a real puzzle, as the button to do it here is no different to anywhere else on the site. I am not aware of any issues with iPads, but don't have one that I can check with. Do you know anyone else with an iPad that would be willing to let you use it to log in and try it?

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      The 'random photo' posted just below the photo comp winner, is the same size as the photo comp winner picture but it contains the photographer and location details. It just seems a shame to me that such a great picture is uncredited on the home page.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      Sadly @Redwing, I don't write the software bit that does that, I am merely able to poke it here and there. Bear with me, and I will see what I can achieve.

• Like Like x 2
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,622
        OK, between my good friend @wiseowl and I, we might just have resolved things for you - - the image on display now credits the author, and if you click on it, it should take you to the thread announcing the winner (I cannot guarantee that particular bit will stay working, as it has fallen over in the past)

• Like Like x 1
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,622
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,822
            Thanks for the compliment @Redwing I am happy you liked the photo. The bird is actually a Black Capped Chickadee.

"Little flocks of Black-capped Chickadees enliven the winter woods with their active behavior and their cheery-sounding chick-a-dee callnotes as they fly from tree to tree, often accompanied by an assortment of nuthatches, creepers, kinglets, and other birds. This is a very popular bird across the northern United States and southern Canada, always welcomed at bird feeders, where it may take sunflower seeds one at time and fly away to stuff them into bark crevices."

They are curious and friendly and are so used to me feeding them they frequently land on my head or the lens of my camera. They are a joy to have around the property any time of year.

• Like Like x 4