1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nigella Seeds - Does anyone have any spare?

Discussion in 'Wants Lists' started by Jungle Jane, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I plan to grow a lot next year and don't think a couple of packets of seeds will do it. If anyone has any spare I will happily take them off their hands. An exchange is also offered if anyone wants any seeds in return.

:)

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I grow Nigella, mainly for culinary use of the seeds. I've just checked my saved seeds (40 grammes, so about a million seeds!) and they're from 2007 but germinated fine this spring and I've got about 50 plants growing from which fresher seed will be saved.

It can self seed to the point of being a nuisance as a friend of ours removes all the seed pods she can find, but it still comes up all over her garden every year. I could also put her on seed saving duties.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      I can remember sowing nigellas a few years ago in my parents back garden and had forgotten how quickly they do spread over time. I do need something like nigellas to fill a large gap quickly though. Any plants that show up in the wrong place I will probably pull up and chuck on the compost heap.

I didn't realise you could use Nigella seeds straight from the garden for use in the kitchen. I imagined they would have to be treated before hand. What do you use the seeds for? I've only ever had them on Naan bread in the past.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Yes, that's the stuff, although I think Nigella (that'll cause problems Googling it!) Lawson used the term flat breads in her recipe. Also used crushed as a free substitute for cumin, just sieve/winnow out the chaff (and insects), dry and use.

Counted them this morning and I've got about 40 plants in a bed.

EDIT: Found the recipe - 'Nigellan Flatbread' on p311 of 'How to be a domestic Goddess', or http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/nigellan-flatbread-152

Google "kalonji seeds" and I think you'll find there's packs of nigella seeds around with about 50 times as much in as a seed packet and for less than £1 - but will they germinate? more info