1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh dear!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Liz, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Today I was putting some of my geraniums into a window box, using my potting tray. I emptied several out , thinking they were somewhat dry, and put the pots to one side. As I did so I noticed a pile of what looked like mini-cigars about 3/4" long, made of neatly wrapped leaves, complete with a tiny circle of leaf stopping up one end. The end of one had come out and I could see the white larva moving slightly inside.
    I didn't cotton on right away. I put them to one side and by the time I finished the box I suddenly realised- I'd disturbed a leaf cutter bees' nest. :(
    I've just come in to check what to do. As the larvae are left with supplies in their cigars, If I put them somewhere safe and dry they might survive. I read that the nest is usually a tube in soft wood or plant tissue; I saw no sign of this but I'm wandering if the bee chose a gap in between the bits of polystyrene drainage in the pots. Just off to take a photo before finding somewhere to put them.
    Sorry, bee!

[​IMG]
    When I returned outside [15 mins?] only these 3 were left, because they had fallen on to the ground. Something must have nipped in sharpish and had a tasty lunch.... I put them in an angelica tube in the shed. It's open to the air but in a dry place.

[ 12. July 2006, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Liz ]