1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Old colanders- googling competition!

Discussion in 'Freebies, Offers & Bargains' started by Selleri, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,684
    So I had this great idea that my hardy succulents would look great planted in old colanders. Sadly, the ones that look the part are apparently "retro" with a price tag to match.

I'm NOT paying over a tenner. :mad:

Can anyone find any bargains for me please? I have already put a request in in my Neighbourhood forum. Normally I'd just browse the charity shops or nip into Home Bargains for some DIY- battering of the shiny new ones, but everything is closed so online is my hope.

Something like this, at least 24cm wide would be ideal

Colander.jpg

Thanks! :)

2. Purple Streaks

Purple Streaks Gardener

Ratings:
    +720
    I can imagine them Selleri especially if you could find a way to hang them up.have you tried the charity shops online .?
    I know you would have to pay postage but they would be lightweight
    I had a neighbour who used the inner basket of the old chip pans for the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997

Those ones with blue rims aren't true retro.

We have 2 enamelled colanders (somewhere) bought at car boots so many years ago that I've forgotten where they are.

One is 'green and cream' [1], and the other 'green' [2]. I'll edit this post when I find images of indentical stuff.

[1] Like this, but in better condition Vintage Cream & Green Enamel Colander – Kitchenalia – Great! – | eBay

[2] This colour Old Enamel Bread Tin Green Vintage Baking Storage Kitchen Retro | eBay

No idea where they are, might take a day or many months to find them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,684
        I'm sure everyone has them hiding in cupboards and garages, eventually to be binned or taken to charity shops.

Sadly, our 15 years old plastic colander, still in use daily, is not quite the look I'm after :redface:

I don't want anything fancy, but nothing too new off Tesco either.

Online charity shops are great, but understandably focus on the more expensive collectables rather than photographing and sending things from "everything 50p" box.

The hunt is on! :)

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,169
          Have you got a local Facebook page, our one has been very useful during lockdown for people having clear outs. You could ask if anyone has any. Here we leave items someone has asked for on the driveway for them to collect covid safe.

• Like Like x 3
          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,974
            Hey @Selleri Try antique shops/charity shops after lockdown.
            This beauty was passed to me by my grandma. Used for harvesting fruit these days.
            168C0F7B-C882-4373-932E-55DF75803115.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
            • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,289
              Not even 99p more for this supersexy Swan colander? :cool:

VINTAGE / RETRO / SHABBY CHIC SWAN BRAND ALUMINIUM COLLANDER / STRAINER / SIEVE | eBay

OK, not exactly what you want, but this is a seriously classy, understated colander, not like those vulgar blue and white enamel colanders who need to announce their colanderiness to everyone by being bright and conspicuous. It's a tad smaller at just over 22cm, but it's doing that on purpose to make you really ponder what to plant in it. :biggrin:

This one is even cheaper at £10.25 including postage!

Vintage Aluminium Colander 9” Diameter Histonal/s | eBay

Not only cheap, but extremely characterful due to the slightly distorted base. :whistle: Clearly a colander which has lived life to the full.

This one is a pound more but comes with a free tin of baked beans and some scales!

Vintage 1940’s Aluminium Colander: Two Handles, 23 cm diameter | eBay

Nick

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                +7,684
                Well thanks very much folks, I have just discovered I'm now addicted to old colanders :doh:

Shabby chic is the mantra in our home, occasionally the chic needs a bit more attention but you get the idea. Anyways, my Nextdoor group is great, I'm collecting the first colander tomorrow. A win-win, I'm offering to swap for some propagated houseplants I desperately need to clear out to make room for spring seedlings, or jigsaw puzzles, or a tin of reindeer meat. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 3