Old tired lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Nickoslesteros, May 3, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello!

I've lived here for about six years, and don't know what kind of care the lawn had before I got here. I just seem to struggle to do anything with it. I have around 200sqm, and I really can't afford to be using one of the professional lawn care services, so I need to sort something out!

Attached a couple of photos. Large parts of the lawn have very thin grass, and a but dull/yellow . It doesn't grow particularly strongly either.

Every spring I try to rake out thatch and moss using a spring tine rake (a great work out), and apply a slow acting spring granular fertiliser. I mow frequently using a cylinded mower. I just don't know what to do next.

I'm on sandy soil and although it can feel firm underfoot, I can usually (tested today) press a long screwdriver down without _too_ much effort.

Would love to hear some thoughts :)

Many thanks!

PXL_20240503_123453833.jpg PXL_20240503_123451382.MP.jpg

2. JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,116
    On sandy soil lawn grass can start going dull and yellow then brown very quickly if there's not enough rain. It's a rare summer when my grass stays fully green and it dulls noticeably after only a couple of weeks of dry weather, particularly if it's also warm (I don't water it unless it gets a bit of runoff from a nearby new plant). Grass needs good drainage but also plenty of moisture.
    If those are recent pictures after a decently-wet winter and spring, that might not be the reason though.
    It's hard to tell from the pics but I think you might be cutting it too short. I find it stays greener if I don't scalp it. Also check that the blades are properly sharp because blunt ones can pull/tear instead of cutting, which can cause browning.

3. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks @JennyJB. Yeah, I took those photos today - mowed yesterday.
    I have set the mower almost to its highest, here is a photo of a better patch of lawn mowed to the same height.

The areas in the first photo never seem to grow very much at all, which often results in a really patchy lawn, where there are patches of lusher growth and barer patches, and it doesn't grow together if that makes any sense.

Attached Files:

4. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,393
    You could also try using a lawn and turf dressing to improve the quality and structure of your soil. It looks like topsoil and most garden centres stock it in their compost section. One of my neighbours had their lawn replaced when they moved in but it was simply laid after the old turf was removed without improving the soil. The new lawn was green for a few weeks but then looked no better than it did before. Anything you can do to improve your soil so that it retains moisture and nutrients will also help your grass.

5. JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,116
    Good idea @Plantminded , to try a top dressing. I have occasionally brushed old used potting compost into mine (anything to retain more moisture) but never enough for the whole lot at once. Maybe mix some grass seed into the top dressing as well.

The new closeup picture looks like it's got a fair amount of annual meadow grass in it (I can see some flower/seed heads) which is sometimes thought of as a weed grass but as long as it's green, and you're not after a bowling green, I think it's OK.

6. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    No, certainly now after a perfect lawn. I have three kids and a dog. Just better than it is now will do me!

Is it worth hiring a proper petrol scarifier in the autumn and top seeding and dressing afterwards?