One tough little bird is my Robin Redbreast!!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Will Hay, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Will Hay

Will Hay Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Ok so the background to this story of this tough Robin is this....I have a large bamboo in my garden and the dense vegetation and fallen bamboo leaves are ideal for mice to make their home it seems, with this in mind I do set a nouse trap - this trap is at the base of the bamboo, the base of which I have encased with some chicken wire to keep it in same shape as to where it is. So one day last week my dog was barking mad near the bamboo I went to investigate and noticed the mouse trap on the footpath I thought a mouse was caught in the trap and perhaps dying but as I got closer I could see, to my dismay, it was a bird and in fact a Robin Redbreast!! He had wandered into the bamboo and his foot had triggered the mouse trap. The Robin had dragged the trap about two feet away from the bamboo onto the footpath. As I got closer I could see his leg was badly damaged and quite a bit of blood for a small bird. I managed to free the bird and before I could react the Robin had dashed into some nearby hedging! My wife and I were very upset as you can understand.

I didn't see the Robin for a few days after this and suspected that he would have succumbed to his injuries or died from the shock of the event HOWEVER a few days later the Robin appeared close to the door of my garden shed his damaged leg tucked under his body!! He would always come close to my shed and even sometimes into my shed foraging for food! I threw some bird seed on the wall and the Robin ate it!

I have seen the Robin a few times over the course of the past two weeks and am astonished and delighted that he is surviving and even overcoming his serious injuries

Here are a couple of photos I took of him from this afternoon outside my shed. From the photos it looks as though the injured leg is totally gone as before I would see it tucked under his body

I am hoping that he will survive the autumn/ winter, what do ye think??

This bird is unbelievable in my eyes!

'When robins appear, loved ones are near'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +614
      They are strong God made birds stronger than they look
      A bird can survive even with one leg not always dothey fly well after but the fact you are feeding it you really helping him to survive so look after him and who knows he might be with you all winter

• Like Like x 2
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,792
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
          +206
          Or replaced with a humane trap.

• Like Like x 3
          • Will Hay

Will Hay Gardener

Ratings:
            +65
            Thought I share an update my Robin Redbreast friend still visits me and I feed him when he calls, Here are a couple of photos of the tough little guy IMG-6082.jpg IMG-6083.jpg IMG-6127.jpg IMG-6127.jpg IMG-6127.jpg IMG-6127.jpg

• Like Like x 6