1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bargain Padlocks

Discussion in 'Freebies, Offers & Bargains' started by clanless, Nov 17, 2019.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,625
    Needed a couple of new padlocks - one for the allotment shed and other for the garden shed - something a bit more robust, a 50 mm padlock.

Look at the price difference:

Toolstation - 3.52 GBP each:

Toolstation.jpg

B&Q - 9.72 GBP each:

b&q.jpeg

Toolstation - always a port of call if you're after something diyey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I've found some really good prices for ironmongery/hardware items at Toolstation.

But for padlocks I check out the cheapest prices for packs of 3 (or 4 or more) all on the same key, and supplied with numerous keys, so every shed, chained up wheelbarrow, gate, etc. only requires one key on my keyring, and if one padlock fails I have a spare. (I have several sheds at my plot and several more at home).

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
        Ratings:
        +2,369
        I was about to post exactly that. I have a box of padlocks from a locksmith. They weren't cheap but they are all keyed alike. He had lots of boxes with the same key but hes 12 miles away so chances of others having the same lock near me are slim.

I did the same with the house once I saw how easy it is to break in with cheap locks. All four locks were changed for high quality locks with the same key.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        All our external doors have identically keyed 5 lever locks plus indentically keyed cylinder locks. The cylinder locks are just to provide some basic security when we have a visitor without locking them inside with a 5 lever lock. When we're away and a neighbour looks after our hens we change gate locks to spares with a different key.

• Like Like x 1
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,374
          We use Toolstation quite a lot and have found them to be very good too. :dbgrtmb: