1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pear Wine

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by visionwf, Jan 13, 2010.

1. visionwf

visionwf Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :gnthb:I had an abundance of pears and have made 2 gals of wine from them. They were sweet red pears. Not sure of the type as I grew the tree from seed and only rememder that they were Tescos finest range of soft red pears. Has any one tried pear wine? Is it sweet or dry?

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Used to make it years ago. Ours was fairly sweet. Was a poor keeper - as we never managed to keep ourselves from drinking it.:lollol:

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Not tasted Pear wine but really like pear cider.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I was under the impression pear wine is "perry" or pear cider as scotkat says.

I've not made wine for years, but as I remember how sweet or dry it ends up depends on how you want it.
    It should be fermented for as long as possible to get the maximum alcohol, adding sugar slowly so as not overpower the yeast, and then when the alcohol content kills the yeast it should be bottled with the required amount of sugar to give a sweet or dry wine.

I seem to remember pears were one of the worst to clear due to a large amount of pectin in the fruit, and I used to add an enzyme to get rid of the pectin.

This is all 70s and 80s stuff, you probably do it differently these days.

5. visionwf

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I will make sure I don't make it again as it is no good if it won't keep due to being drunk. :doh:I suppose I could try putting in something to stop it tasting good.
    Have you ever tried rhubarb wine?

6. visionwf

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. :thumb:Pear wine is to a different formula to perry and isn't fizzy. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it tasts similar.
    Have you tried any other wine making?

7. visionwf

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Thanks for the info. I have still got it fermenting and will leave it as it is still bubbling. Have you tried rhubarb wine? I have some of that on the go as well.:thumb:

8. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    mm all round to yours for a taste test then?

sounds lovely

Loopy

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    No I never tried rhubarb, but seem to remember the recipe called for a dose of ginger to pep it up a bit taste wise, rhubarb being a bit acidic and bland.

I used to make a fair amount of blackberry wine in season, due to the free blackberrys growing almost everywhere.

I never tried it but I think beetroot was all the rage back then.:lollol: