1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Photoshop Colourisations

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Snorky85, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,974
    I've yet to order my grandads official war records from WW2. I will be apprehensive about reading it. I used to go and sit in my grandads drawing room (he was a draughtsman after he left the navy) and he showed me some pictures he painted of some ships he'd been on. I remember him telling me that three of the ships he was on were bombed and sunk. I remember saying "you were really lucky grandad" and he said "yes, very lucky". That's all I remember him telling me, but apparently that's much more than he told my mum about it. He was going to write his memoirs but never did it - although he had made some notes and I found them a few months ago...sadly a list of all his school friends and what they did in the war and many of them were killed. So so sad.

I found my other gt gt uncles (Sammys brother Arthur) war records and like yourself, found he had been in and out of military hospitals with stomach issues. When I first read the records, it looked as if he was trying to get out of being at the front. I later realised this certainly wasn't the case. He survived the war but died in 1923....I ordered his death certificate - he died of an infected lining of the stomach and a burst ulcer several days after an operation on his stomach. It turns out many men suffered from stomach ulcers etc from stress of being at the front. So so sad. I also noticed that Arthur was in military hospital when Sammy died...I noticed he went AWOL for a day and then was punished (confined to Barracks). We think he must have been informed of Sammy's death and it hit him hard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,616
      I have records that show my family, on my paternal grandfather's side, as having been members of a church in Abingdon. They were the Bonds and one of my cousins said she visited there and confirmed it. I would have loved to go there myself when I visited. Maybe next time :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,974
        You need to come back over here and we’ll make sure you have a brilliant time.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,616
          I know I will get there again some day :) Need to save up for a bit. :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 2
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,169
            You are very welcome to use us as a base if you come over @CanadianLori , Mrs JWK would love to meet you too. We are close to Gatwick & Heathrow and being retired I can easily pick you up from your flight and run you around or you can do your own thing, Guildford is handy for London, only 35 mins on the train. Please bear that in mind when you come over again.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,169
              @Snorky85

As you say it's very addictive and every week there is something new appearing. As more and more stuff gets digitized it's so easy to find out new things.

Me and Mrs JWK went to the 100 Year Anniversary of the opening day of Passchendaele in July 2017 held at Tyne Cot. It was such an emotional event and yet uplifting as every one else attending had a story to tell of a lost grandfather, uncle etc. We all took letters and photos, one Irish family we met showed me their Father's last postcard promising to come home for Christmas to see his new born son, well he never did, so sad. It was a wonderful atmosphere and we met some very lovely people. My two Gt Uncles bodies were lost so there is no grave. They are commemorated on the Menin Gate so we went there that evening for an even more emotional event, wonder if you have been to the Last Post there ? That night a beautiful Welsh Choir were singing as well, the Welsh were the first regiment to go over the top on that fateful day and then their regiment marched through the gate with their own band, we had no idea all this was going to happen.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,616
                That is extremely kind of you! It'll take a while to save up and I want to have enough on me to treat people to dinners and things like that because you are all so kind and I feel I owe you one :)

I know that I would do a better job of visiting. Once I'd figured out the subway and rail systems I really got mobile. Too much fun over there!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                  Ratings:
                  +10,974
                  @JWK I bet that was fantastic. Did you see the open air show that was on bbc where they lit up the cloth hall in Ypres? I think that was on a week or so before we went the first time. on 11th August 2017 we took part in the Last Post ceremony and laid a wreath for our Sammy - his name is on the Menin Gate. It was very emotional. Like you say - we met some lovely people there who had their stories to tell. I am just so pleased that they are being remembered. The second time we went we took my grandma and it was Anzac day 2018 - my god it was fantastic! Such a brilliant day to take my grandma and see the ceremony.

Have you tracked down your two gt uncles final movements? I used my war diary from my uncles battalion and there was quite a detailed account of what happened that day. First time mum and I went to Ypres we hired a tour guide - an ex military belgian chap who was excellent. He cross referenced where my uncles comrades bodies were buried from the day they died in that specific battle on a map. (CWGC site has all this info). So our tour guide took us to the places where Sammy fought and where the final battle was and showed us where he was likely to be buried. We can assume he was buried (as he was most likely killed by a machine gunner) in one of the temporary graves next to the battlesite as directly after that particular battle it was a quite couple of days so they would go out and bury their dead comrades. By the time they exhumed the bodies from the temporary grave he most likely couldn't be identified.

I found out a lot more about Sammy's life back home before the war - on the British Newspaper Archive...him and his two brothers were football mad and I've found loads of football match reports from 1905-1912. Sammy was a keen footballer and a good goalscorer according to the football reports. :) The newspapers also published letters from soldiers and was lovely to read them with specific mentions of my uncles. I was going to add a picture of their football team from 1903 that I am working on colouring but the file is too big!

• Like Like x 2
                  • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                    Ratings:
                    +10,974
                    @CanadianLori I second what John has said. We're also about 30 mins from london on train and not far from Heathrow (Dave works globally so i'm always driving him there and picking him up!). We've got 3 spare rooms and two have en suite so you can have your pick. (we just have two dogs - so not sure if you are ok with dogs?! lol). Anyway, at least between John and myself we could make sure you will have somewhere friendly to rest your head. I really want to treat you to make up for what you've had to put up with - I know a few others on here feel the same. :imphrt:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,616
                      Thank you for your kind offer. I really did have a smashing time overall whilst there. The young people were a lot of fun too. Some fellows about 18 or so, were slouching all over the seats near the doors on a train going from Windsor to Waterloo Station. One immediatey offered me a seat and I declined and thanked him. I saw another empty seat down the other end and before hauling myself and luggage down there, advised them all to sit up straight please . And they did. A little old lady with a bun of grey on top of her head can certainly make things move ! :)

• Like Like x 1
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • JWK

Ratings:
                        +46,169
                        @Snorky85 yes we were at the BBC filmed events. The Tyne Cot ceremony was the best, we were lucky to get the tickets.

My Great Uncle Alf had previously been wounded in 1916 but returned to fight again. He had just won the Military Medal a few weeks before he went Over The Top, he was only 21. He was transferred to a Dressing Station but died of his wounds two days later. Some of his military record survived the WW2 bombing/fire but the exact location of his burial was lost. Some of the dressing station records survive and intend to go to Kew one day to search:
                        [​IMG]

My Great Uncle Rob, had emigrated to Australia but came back to fight with his brothers. His military records are very comprehensive, being intact in Australia. There is a Red Cross account from one of his comrades, quite harrowing as they were hit by artillery and buried. He laid dead in no mans land for over a month until eventually the Canadians captured Passchendaele and buried him, so we know the exact trench map co-ordinates. Sadly they also removed his personnel effects for some reason, they should have left one dog tag on his body. I know this as we have both dog tags and his badges which were sent to my Gt Grandfather. So in 1920 when the bodies were recovered from their temporary burials on the battlefields and concentrated in the bigger cemeteries he was unidentified. I have good circumstantial evidence which grave he lies in the New British Cemetery. The CWGC and the Canadians have been very helpful but they need firm evidence before an unmarked grave is re-dedicated - but I am hopeful I can find the missing clues. It would be fantastic to have a proper grave, the CWGC manage to re-dedicate a handful each year as more and more clues turn up:
                        [​IMG]

Incidentally his lapel badge shown on his photo above was given to me his sister (My Gt Aunt) about 55 years ago! I didn't realise the significance of it until recently, it was just an army badge for my collection. I had always wondered why she had an Australian badge amongst several others she handed over. The rest belonged to more familiar East Yorkshire regiments in which my other Gt Uncles fought.

The Passchendaele centenary event was very moving. We stood on the spot that was expected to be taken 100 years ago. Uncle Alf went over the top on that first day and was mortally wounded. He died a few days later of his wounds very close by to Tyne Cot. Uncle Rob was also killed within sight of where we stood, which is now a plant nursery

It was a beautiful sunny still day in Tyne Cot cemetery when the 2 minutes silence started, at that moment a sudden wind swept through the crowd and it felt as though the fallen had returned, it was a very special moment. It was very emotional for us apart from the Paparazzi snapping every tiny move Kate made, I felt sorry for her and Prince William, but that's another story.

Mrs JWK also lost two Great Uncles in WW1 so we laid crosses on the memorials we could find around Ypres.

• Informative Informative x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1