1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planning a Summer BBQ

Discussion in 'Members Blogs/Websites' started by bbrains, Jun 4, 2011.

1. bbrains

bbrains Apprentice Gardener

Artist
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know if you guys are interested (or if this was the right place to start a thread) but I have recently been asked to write a post for a blog about how to organise a successful BBQ and it's finally gone live.

If anyone wants to read it then it's here:

Garden Resources - Planning a Summer BBQ

Feedback would also be great. This is one of the first blog posts I have done like this so please be nice if you do give feedback.

2. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Step 1. Invite the Sun
    Step 2. Find someone that can cook on a BBQ.
    Step 3. Be first in the queue for the beer.
    Step 4. Go missing when the BBQ needs cleaning.

Enjoy!!

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    I think we need the summer, before the BBQ, doesn't look like it's going to happen at the moment! :scratch:

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Don't be so sure about that. Poor planning of the casual barbie can be literally fatal. If you frozen the meat, and then don't fully defrost it before cooking it, then food poisoning could result. Food poisoning often results in a belly ache or an embarrassing incident involving strange sounds, followed by cold sweats, followed by sprints to the smallest room, topped off with 24 hours of hibernation. However, it can also be fatal.

Other than that, my only criticism is the article is too long. Way to long. To host a successful barbie, you need:

* Some friends
    * Some diced beef, burgers, peppers, onions, condiments, paper plates.
    * Some beer (and fruit juices if kids are coming)
    * Some kebab skewers
    * Some buns
    * A charcoal barbie (not a disposable one, they are useless)
    * Some basic utensils

Ideally, to tide people over while they're waiting for the beef based snacks too cook, you should have some snacks prepared in advance. An idea I stole from a Chiliean tapas bar comes in handy for this. Roughly cut chunks of bread dipped in olive oil, heated in the over for a few minutes, then topped with passata and chopped parsely is a simple apetiser.

You then simply cook stuff on the barbie while drinking beer and chatting with your buddies, then when stuff is cook, you eat it, and continue drinking beer. Simples.