Planting around a fence post

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Karen1986, May 3, 2024.

1. Karen1986

Karen1986 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I’ve bought a clematis and, whilst digging the hole, realised the old fence post is still in the ground (see pictures). I’m not sure if I’ll be able to dog this out without damaging the new fence post! Would I be able to plant the clematis in front of this post? I’m aware there will be cement at the bottom of the old post.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    That does look very restricted for a Clematis to grow well @Karen1986. Which variety are you planning to plant? It may be better in a large container open to the soil below or in another location.

3. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,759
    Hi, I don't know how DIY you are or if you know someone who is, personally I'd just use an SDS drill to remove the concrete to the front of the old fence post to make a bit more of a gap to plant if that makes sense?

4. fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,925
    What type of clematis is it though @Karen1986 ? The early ones don't need, or like rich moist soil in the way the large flowered ones do.
    The soil doesn't look very hospitable though. It might be better to dig a little further along if that's possible.