Please advise: butterfly hatching kits

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by IDigPerfectSquareHoles, May 6, 2017.

1. IDigPerfectSquareHoles

IDigPerfectSquareHoles Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi,
    my little girl's birthday is coming up. I've come across butterfly hatching kits sponsored by the Buttefly Conservation charity like Giant Butterfly Garden but on reading the small print, discovered that they are Painted Lady larvae which are neither native nor declining. I'm not sure if I should be proliferating a species which might already be benefitting from climate change.

So I thought, could I hatch a native endangered/declining species instead and the only alternative supplier I could find was WorldWide Butterflies (Worldwide Butterflies - over 50 years of supplying butterflies, moths, livestock, and entomological equipment) who stock species like Garden Tiger moth and Small Tortoiseshell.

My concern is though, WWB have absolutely NO information on the sustainability of their stock, how/where they are collected or farmed, etc. As a relative newbie to all things lepidorteran, I don't want to end up doing more harm than good!

Is this larvae hatching business a bad idea altogether? Please help!

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    As an alternative, she could enjoy a nice trip to KEW GARDENS, where they have a dedicated area to butterflies...