Possible uti

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Gizmo, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +849
    Thanks for your replys. Just to update really. Rocco was on metacam for 1 day. It was stopped due to him being sick. Then vet advised to use homemade chicken and rice so we made some up. Over the course of approximately 3 days he was not having a poo so we went back to his normal food and introduced slowly. Last night he had a poo in doors which is normal for him. But no wee which is not normal not to go at night. He does wee on walks.
    But what we have all so noticed is that he is limping back right leg so I looked at all legs and paws I can't see anything wrong. He can't seem to get on the sofa he seems to lift him self up instead of jump like all ways.
    But he jumped on my bed which is higher that the sofa.
    All though he is 4 Yr old we have only had him for 2 Yr. We did try and get him insured but every one said no due to pre existing conditions but the condition he gets a folical infection around his mouth due to playing and rubbing his face jaw along the grass etc.
    So with the vets asking before £41 and then we phoned up again for same problem again £41 which is not right. It seems vets are money grabbing all the time. Not sure at the moment what cost and treatment would be needed and if we could afford it

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,490
      Some of the medicne used can be bought in the chemist which may or may not be cheaper than the vets, shop around for med's, you don't have the buy the med's from that vet

Some med's are the same for human's and animals

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +43,818
        Thanks for letting us know, when you change to chicken and rice you have to wait for his system to get used to it. It's worrying that he's not having a wee like he used to. Is he drinking normally?
        The insurance companies won't take on existing conditions.
        When you phone your vet up do you have to have extra medication? If not they shouldn't charge you,
        ours isn't like that.If he had a possible UTI he should have had antibiotics not a painkiller. Despite what they said they should have done a urine test and not like what they said, with you collecting a sample, we've done it with ours a few times.
        If you can't afford the treatment you can ask for help, there's the blue cross or the people's vets.
        All the best and let us all know how you get on.
        :grphg:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
          Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,404
          I think if you are on benefits you can use PDSA as well.
          I think sometimes those vets are actually the best ones as there is no advantage to them to mess around.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
            Ratings:
            +43,818
            Yes some of the meds are the same. Our Bracken had leukaemia and had to have human leukaemia tablets but you have to know how much to give them.
            I'd go to a different vet but not in the same practice but being that he's got a illness it's going to take time. It would be better to go to the pdsa vets like @pete said.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +849
              Thanks for your reply. Rocco seems to be drinking. But also favouring his back leg. I watched him this morning he can't get of sofa without putting cushion on floor first. But he jump on and of bed which is higher.
              With insurance company's I think you have to have a certain time frame between vet visits before they are insured.
              With vets they are charging £41 per consultation all though its about the same thing.
              We are on state high benefit. Pip. Esa. Ca.
              With pdsa we did ask about this with our other dog and it seems they stopped it but will look into blue Cross and people vets.
              With animals meds I would not be sure on what to give them really. With me I was on high dose of morphine due to chronic pain but I would not give it to my dog without vets advice
              When we phone vets it's not for extra meds it's for consultation only. Then vets thinks what the matter is and gives meds. But even with metacam I thought it was too much as he don't look like he is in pain just seems to pawing his willy and licking alot on his right back leg. But his weeing has changed we normally wake upto a puddle in the frontroom for a few days no puddle no poo. So something is going on unless the vets say again behaveour issue

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +849
              I have just phoned vets up about rocco they said no home visits full stop not even out side of home all phone call video consultation are chargeable.
              I explained I am a full time carer for my wife I am going to find it hard to get rocco to the vets and there is no one else to take him and I won't trust anyone else due to dog napping on the news.
              So at the moment another phone consultantion has been set up cost £41 they really need to see him but how is not sure

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                Ratings:
                +43,818
                Can you get someone to look after your wife when you have to go to the vet?
                Try again with the PDSA, say that your willing to give a donation if you haven't tried it before.
                Just googled it and have you got a Pets4homes near you or the RSPCA can help but you might need proof that you're on benefits.
                Vets won't do house calls with covid around at the moment.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +849
                  Many thanks for your reply the vet practice is St Anne's in Eastbourne sx. They advised that they don't do pdsa now all though they used to.
                  At the moment we are waiting call from the vet which is chargeable £41 all though when I made the appointment I said to vets to ring the mobile number they didn't they rang the home number instead. It really stresses me up when professionals don't listen so now again waiting for call

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                    Ratings:
                    +43,818
                    Perhaps try other places like Pets4homes they will be cheaper than your vet.Also RSPCA tell them that you can't afford the vets bills, that's if you want to of course.Do you have to have a phone call because you can't go in because of your wife or because of Covid?
                    All the best.
                    :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                      +849
                      thanks for your reply my wife is mentally ill and i suffer from from repeat chest infections and been on 19 lots of antobotics since jan 2020 .. i dont want to go out due to covid as not had vaccine yet all though we are both clincilly vulnerable and 58 yrs old and then i saw on the news that over 200 people have died after having vaccine ?.
                      i spoke to vets this morning and said it sounds more like skin irritation on his willy and giving him aprecal and paracetmol for 1 week , no mention at the moment all though he is lifting paw / leg up , but they want us to get a wee sample easyier said than done ,
                      i have done a picture of what we done on our other dog but wont work on rocco i tried to catch his wee this morning but as soon as i put something under him he moved ...

Attached Files:

• Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                      Ratings:
                      +43,818
                      Ok thanks for letting us know and yes it's an art trying to collect a sample, especially with a smaller dog.
                      I don't think that people have died after having the vaccine, it's just people trying to scare people not to have it.
                      Both of us are going to have it but we have to wait until April.

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                      +849
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                        Ratings:
                        +43,818
                        So why did they put it in the paper?
                        That's the thing about insurance, that must be for a month?
                        Did you go for petplan? It's best to have a life insurance that means they're covered all the time for conditions that you have claimed for.

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                        +849
                        thanks for your reply we went to bought by so many which was £176 a month
                        pet plan covered for life starts of at eg still lots when you dont have it spare each month
                        Classic
                        £124.14
                        per month
                        £1489.68 a year

Classic+
                        £155.09
                        per month
                        £1861.08 a year

Ultimate
                        £245.84
                        per month
                        £2950.08 a year