1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems uploading pictures

Discussion in 'Site Feedback/Bugs' started by Jiffy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,854
    The odd bit was i could upload a pic from the upload button next pic it would let me, but on other forum it's ok

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
      Ratings:
      +10,739
      Something seems to have changed when I upload photos on here.

Previously I was able to upload several photos at once by clicking the 'upload file' button, then I could click on the first of the photos I wished to upload, then hold 'ctrl' while highlighting the rest of the photos, before clicking 'open' which would then upload all the selected photos.

Now, I can only upload one photo at a time. I now get a box which says 'choose a file' and after selecting the first photo from my computer, I can no longer select more than one photo by holding down 'ctrl' as I did previously. I now have to repeat the process of clicking 'upload file' - 'choose a file' - 'open' for every photo rather than uploading anything up to a dozen photos in one go as before.

Is there a still a way I can upload more than one photo at a time?

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,478
      I am just about to head off to bed @Trunky, but will revisit this tomorrow as there isn't currently any issues that I am aware of. I will be in touch....

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,329
      @Trunky Highlight the photos in the file on your computer and drag and drop them into the box for your post. They should all download OK.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I became unable to upload multiple images like that yonks ago, so resorted to individual uploads, but upon checking just now it appears working again (for me).

With some of these issues I don't even bother mentioning it any more as I'm only advised to 'clear' this, 'update' that, change browser, etc., etc., which never works and all I have to do is try again later to find it's all working OK again without doing anything whatsoever.

However, I'm now having problems even with individual uploads which appear to 'hang' before I get to choice of selecting 'Thumbnail' or 'Full Image' format to insert in post, but have discovered a work around by then starting to upload another image (which isn't required) which will cause the first image to suddenly appear as available to insert, then I can cancel the second upload, and insert the first image.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        That's happening to me ever since the last windows update :th scifD36: Not just on here but other forums too :doh:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +118,329
          If by 'hang' you mean that everything stops, I have been getting something similar for nearly a year.

I drag and drop photos (anything up to 12), they all appear in my posting box but then all of IE stops (spinning little circle) for about 30 seconds (seems like ages :noidea:). I let it get on with it and go to my emails or, I've just recently found, I shut down the folder that I store the photos in (Zoombrowser) and IE starts working immediately. :blue thumb: (As I typed the word 'immediately' my screen went black, then five seconds later said 'Display Driver stopped working but recovered' :scratch:.)

The other thing that has been happening during the last year is that if I drag and drop more than four in one go then one or two of them don't appear. I then have to pick out the missed ones and drag and drop those again.

None of it is much of a problem and is not restricted to GC. I think it's an IE problem on my computer - similar to what Zigs has said.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,478
          The reason for the advice to 'clear' this, and 'update' that is simply to eliminate some of the more likely potential issues that are local to you. Windows is a pain in the rump for having things change or removed as part of an update which can cause failures for users, as @shiney has given examples of above - - and that is before you even scratch the surface of all the other software from many different companies, that your computer is using at any single point in time (display drivers, printer drivers, video codecs, audio codecs, numerous browsers, Java, Flash...... the list is endless); if any one piece of software on your PC decides it doesn't like another, then you have a problem, but that problem may only manifest on one website to you.

Add to that general internet traffic, not only GC site traffic, but the traffic of the internet as a whole and there may well be times that things don't work as they should simply because the data is not reaching its destination 'in time ' (a timeout can occur even although data is still in transit which stops the whole thing); or, the servers that host GC and countless other websites could themselves be having a software or hardware problem that none of us know about.

Once all that is out of the way, we are then left with the site software itself, and that is about the only thing that I can have bearing on, and even then the level of what I can do is relatively basic. The last time we had increasing issues (when the forum pages were displaying wonky), earlier in this thread, I used the information that you and others had given me and worked through the various caches and databases on the GC server, rebuilding each one in turn - this solved the problem, which is why things would appear to you to just start working again.

The process of doing this, however, tied my PC up for many hours and me along with it - I have no option in this, as I have to make sure that absolutely nothing interrupts the process between my PC and the GC server, lest it corrupt one of the cache/database files which would bring the site down completely. Whilst I am delighted to be able to help support GC as much as I can, for me to commit an entire evening and most of a night to running various processes is not something I will take on lightly, especially mid-week as it will generally mean that I arrive at work with eyes like pee holes in the snow the following morning - hence, I try to eliminate the quicker fixes first.

@Trunky - are you using a PC, Mac or mobile device? What operating system are you using, and what browser are you using?

@Zigs - the same questions to you?

I suspect that one of the Windows changes has altered your browser security, which is why you are having a problem - it may be that you need to download and re-install your browser; I had to do this myself recently, due to video rendering problems, and even once I had done that I actually had to disable the browser's ability to use hardware acceleration to stop it crashing out on me. If doing the same for your machines looks like a possible fix, I will happily guide you through.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Is using a laptop, with windows 10 and chrome :)

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,329
              @Fat Controller Thanks for all that info and the hard work you put in. :dbgrtmb:

I'm always happy to put up with the minor problems and sometimes find my own, non-technical, way around them (like shutting down my photo file software - which I reopen immediately and it's back up in five seconds).

As my computer has given me good service for the last 15 years I tend to leave everything alone and work my way around minor problems. Occasionally the computer needs a hardware upgrade (memory, hard drive, fan etc.) which I leave to the person who does an annual service on it. He takes the computer away, cleans the dust and guts, updates things that don't update by themselves (if he thinks they're important), then backs up my backup hard drives and removes previous back-ups, and anything else he thinks is necessary. All for the princely sum of £30 - £50.

I don't do anything myself (unless he says so - over the phone). Computer is usually a 'good boy' :pathd:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,478
                Give Firefox or Opera a try for me if you can @Zigs - see if they behave differently.

Thanks @shiney - it is my pleasure :)

I do understand how frustrating these sort of niggles can be, especially if they seem to suddenly cure themselves, so it is all the more important for everyone to know why some of the questions get asked :)

• Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
                Ratings:
                +10,739
                Same here.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                You could upgrade to a later version of Windows ...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,329
                  What? From XP? Naw!!!! (That's what my computer was designed for)

Actually, I'm now up to Windows 7 with IE11 - if you need to know anything more than that then I'm lost :heehee:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,478
                  Sadly @shiney, your Achilles heel is IE11 - - utter disaster of a browser, and most likely the cause of a good few of your glitches; consider Firefox, Opera or Chrome the next time your PC man gives it a service - they are all free.

@Trunky - can you also try another browser to see if anything changes (Firefox or Opera would be ideal)?

• Friendly Friendly x 1