1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Reporting SPAM

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Kristen, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Just went to report spam (by clicking on the red triangle), and it was already a Yellow triangle - so presumably someone else has already reported it. Fair enough.

Couple of thoughts (based on the fact that I have zero knowledge about the administration of vBulletin)

If multiple people are permitted to report posts, and such "report count" is available to the mods, it might give an indication as the the severity of the infraction. 100 reports, on a given post, presumably implies a post that is offending lots of people - whereas a post with only 1 report might well just be someone griding their axe!!

No idea if such an option exists in the configuration.

So I try to click on the Yellow Triangle anyway, and I get
    and it just occurs to me that that may not be very obvious to folk, and it looks like its a generic "catch all" message. Neither of the items listed apply to me, and an additional item that said "You are trying to report a post that has already been reported" would help, or a message specific to this situation. (The thought in my mind is that if this is user-hostile it may dissuade people from trying to report posts if their first experience was "confusing")

Again, I don't know if the text of this message can be edited.

Just my passing thoughts, no strong feelings.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Hmmm - I get those errors sometimes kristen. I assumed the spam thread was in the process of being removed whilst I tried to report it. It would be better to display a meaningful message if thats possible.

Had to laugh at that last spam thread though (just been deleted) they wanted "workers to rip up weeds then spray them with safe chemicals"!

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Very good points, Kristen. In fact, I am working on an announcement covering the new once only report system. I take your point about grading the severity of the violation but the staff will be able to define if the post is a violation or not and therefore what action needs to be taken. Sometimes posts that are quite egregious fail to be reported by members so I'm not sure that what you suggest would be any better than what we have already. I take your point though.

As a matter of interest, your report did get through though you weren't asked for any details! Interesting!

And the as for message - thanks for bringing that to my attention - never knew about that! I will deal with it shortly.

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I noticed that - reckon we could therefore figure the 'advert' wasn't genuine!

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "As a matter of interest, your report did get through though you weren't asked for any details! Interesting!"

Oh, OK. Should I click a Yellow Triangle, or not ... decisions! decisions!