1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Saving emails.

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Mike Allen, Oct 2, 2019.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,622
    The problem is they all sound really good if you are a NEW customer.:biggrin:

So you have to keep switching.
    Must admit I've thought about getting the old phone line, BT, reconnected, but by the time I've taken the time off work to get it done it hardly seems much cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      First to admit VM broadband is very good and reliable and we do check the speeds on the wired connection as they are increased by VM and they do meet or exceed what they say and hold that speed all day.
      However for our typical use after the free upgrade to 30mb we did not notice any real difference in the PC response at 50, 70 or 100mb, though doubtless good for larger families, gamers and video downloaders etc.

With the new City Fibre network being rolled out , think it will be a good alternative, though only being used domestically by Vodafone at the moment, think others will soon come onboard ? so it should be even easier to switch providers and get those lower rates, which should hopefully drive down VM prices ?

As a working guy, yes we can see how its always a balance between cost and convenience and in a similar situation would probably stay with VM if they let you haggle for a better price.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        As Pete says, frequent switching. This is where I have gone wrong over the years, out of loyalty etc, I have stuck with the original deal.
        Regarding saving my emails, that are saved in a drop down box of the Inbox. There are over 500 mostly scientific alerts. My granddaughter is going to help but, the new line is supposedly being sorted Tuesday. This setting up has been a bit of a pain. The engineer was to have come and put an overheadline from the BT pole. week for last. He failed to turn up. Then Wednesday last he came in the morning although a pm time had been agreed. The telegraph pole is covered by a bay tree, so he couldn't get his ladder up. He intended to have someone come and expose the pole.
        My daughter Amanda, aka my PA, contacted Vodafone and they were full of apologies and contacted BT Open World who do the cabling. Apologies all around, now Tuesday is expected to be THE DAY. Looking ahead. Once the overhead cable is up and running, Vodafone waived the £60 charge. Then if I wish to change to another ISP, there won't be all this trouble.

My new monthly charges will be £23 per month, broadband and landline 100percent free calls. Regarding speeds. I'm not too worried. My set up is. Acer Aspire computer. Win 7 Home. I do not do gaming etc online, so speed isn't that important.
        As I honestly admit. Computers, mobile phones, tablets....apart from the ones you swallow these and me simply don't mix. I don't understand them. Plants, plant sciences, engineering, mechanics, how to use a welder, set of spanners and the old faithful 3pound enineers hammer, I'm OK. At the present time I have a lot on my plate so to speak. I am thankfully regaining my lifelong interest in horticulture etc. Sadly I lost interest in most things back in 2014 when diagnosed with cancer, albeit only bladder cancer which is treatable. I'm on the table again in a few days, 5th or 6th op since 2014. Getting as bad as BBC TV....repeats, repeats. Hopefully granddaughter Chloee will win through, if not. As the barrister on The Chase. BBC3 says. Just another day at the office.
        Many thanks for joining in the thread.

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Oh dear, sorry to hear that, no idea they could operate repeatedly, lost a good friend to the same cancer not so long ago.

Hope all goes well for you ! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Mike Allen

Ratings:
            +6,097
            Many thanks ricky. I share your loss. Truthfully I don't know.
            I read medicine for three years back in the late 50's. I wanted to become a medical doctor. At that time two factors dominated entry to medical school. Money and education. In all honesty. I failed before I entered the race. Nevertheless my interest survived and here I am.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
            • Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
              Ratings:
              +5,791
              Hi,

Good luck Mike for your recovery once you have the op. :dbgrtmb:

I'm with you Mike regarding all the modern electronic gadgets and I too can do without most of them. I can't stand all the remote controls associated with our TV; android and CCTV etc; Bron and I seldom watch normal rubbish TV but at mealtimes we like to watch old black & white TV series; we're currently watching episodes of Dragnet; Fraud Squad and Racket squad.

Last night we watched Hallmark Christmas movies. We've got Netflix but don't need it.

All these and many others are viewed free of charge on our TV via android through YouTube; if we didn't have YouTube I think I'd brick our telly.

I've had a mobile phone for over 8 years and still don't really know how to use it; text messages are alien to me and I've never received an incoming call and I don't care. The phone cost £5 brand new through eBay.

I've recently bought Bron a new smartphone which as an electronic bit of kit is out of this world regarding technology; we visited the "three" store in Meadowhall Shopping centre in order to connect the phone up and Chris who dealt with us was brilliant. He got the phone connected for calls etc but I sorted it out for the Internet back home because it needed our router password which proved to be a real pain; it kept asking for a password? Which password though I've got lots; I spent ages in total frustration then I remembered our router had a password on a label attached to it; it refused the password on the first attempt but then accepted it so now the phone is also online; this phone is more user friendly and reading texts is very easy at the touch of a button; I prefer email for communication which suits me because I don't have a mobile phone welded to my ear. The smartphone can access our CCTV from anywhere in the world and I know modern central heating can be remotely controlled; with all these electronic waves its surprising we aren't all be microwaved.

We're; you and I Mike are of a generation when electronics were on Sci Fi movies only; things like the theme tune on the original Dr Who series? I must have been about 5 years of age before our cottage had electricity installed; I'm a true dinosaur of a time long gone but I'm not losing sleep over it.

I wonder how many of the younger generation would cope if stranded on a desert island without mobile phone; you and I would cope very well using our practical skills; no welding of course but we'd soon put a shelter up?

Bron and I don't begrudge paying over the odds for our VM broadband because we use it a great deal; we have access via YouTube on our TV to an enormous number of films; movies; TV series ( the good old fashioned ones) videos etc. Whilst having breakfast this morning just after 6 o'clock I enjoyed watching two instructional videos covering TIG welding aluminium; the high VM download speed really comes into its own when used like this; my computer is rated as a gaming computer but I never ever play computer games; it's fast though for what I want of it.

I'm wary of switching suppliers and it's something I've never done and possibly never will do; not just broadband but things like gas and electricity; it beats me how they can all be cheaper than each other; I don't want to spend my time worrying if I'm paying a bit too much; we're with VM for TV/ phone and broadband; gas is British Gas and electricity is Npower; we've been with these for ever and all have proved very reliable even if we're paying over the odds.

I hope you get sorted out quickly Mike with the change over and that it suits your needs into the future being reliable and hassle free. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,201

You say you are anti-tech but way ahead of us ! Ytube via android ? Ytube films on the tv ??

Reluctantly have to agree about staying with VM for their reliability, though thats why we are waiting for the Vodafone /City Fibre full fibre cable to be laid which should equally be as reliable as VM and way better than any BT/Openreach line provider.

• Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
                Ratings:
                +5,791
                Hi,
                Many thanks ricky; I'm not really anti-tech because I'll happily use modern technology but only when it suits me; I'm not a sheep following other sheep like all those who queue five blocks in order to buy the latest must have mobile phone or other electronic gadget. :)

Funds are no longer a problem to us so we aren't trying to save a bit of money; we get excellent value even at the higher cost from VM because we use the broadband so much; Bron can be watching a YouTube old movie on our TV whilst I also have YouTube on my computer where I'll watch videos like TIG welding aluminium both the movie and video running without buffering; shame about the adverts on YouTube; we can get rid of the adverts but it costs around £12 per month; I click on "skip advert" so it's not a major problem.

TV Android & Mini-Keyboard.

It's possible once VM competitor's start introducing equally good services at lower prices VM will lose customers at such a pace VM will have to cut their prices so I'll just sit back; for our £61 per month it's worth it to us but if we wanted to we could choose a cheaper VM bundle?

Sorry Mike for hijacking your thread so I've started a new thread where other than saving emails can be expanded upon. :dbgrtmb:

TV Android & Mini-Keyboard.

I'm definitely a dinosaur ricky; I don't like the modern life where lots of metal sticks out of body parts or covered in tattoos also endless swearing which seems to be the norm these days; each to their own because these things are personal but when we were kids we would visit fairs where the tattooed lady was a sideshow? It saddens me when I see a beautiful young lady covered in tattoos thinking these detract from her rather than enhance her.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 1
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,201
                  Agree with your first and last paragraphs completely !

Will look at you new thread .... thanks

• Like Like x 1
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,201
                    @Mike Allen - you probably have all your mail sorted for now ?

- but the current edition , 23rd Oct - 5 Nov, of the Computer Active magazine ( £2.20, twice monthly, stocked in most big supermarkets etc) has a 3 page 'how to' article on moving your ISPs mail to Gmail or Outlook.

Its also quiet an interesting and informative read for both the novice and experienced computer user covering many areas from security to consumer rights and Q&As etc.

• Mike Allen

Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    Many thanks Rickey. My granddaughter sorted it out. What would us oldies do without the younger generation.

The irony of it all. I was in the process of changing my ISP from Virgin Media to Vodafone. BT Open Reach made such an ordeal of providing an overhead cable, I ended up staying where I was, and on a cheaper tariff. So I now have two email addresses. Thanks again.