1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

screen not working on my laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by pete, Aug 25, 2019.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,066
    Well not sure if I was ripped off or not, got a new screen fitted tonight by a local PC repair man.

He charged me £95, so a bit pricey, but if its ok from now on I dont mind too much.

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    That isn't too far out of the way to be fair @pete - the part itself ranges between £35 and £50 depending on the source and type, and you'd be into two hours labour at least (doubt it could be done and tested inside an hour even with experience, so it would be more like two).

I don't think you've been done, lets put it that way.

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,066
    Well, to be honest I was slightly suspicious FC.

I dropped it off at his house at 4.30pm today, at 5.30 I got a call to say it did need a new screen and by some chance he happened to have one.:scratch:
    And he could fit it there and then, and I could pick it up in half an hour.

The clock was wrong when I got it back, so something had been altered or power switched off.

4. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    Hmmmm..... About half hour or so to open it up and diagnose is about right, but having a screen in stock is a bit odd, unless he does quite a lot of work? The screen itself is not specific to your laptop, so will be fitted to many other makes and models, so if he does quite a bit of work then it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he will carry one or two screens in stock. Fitting is easy, and that would require all power (including the battery) to be removed for safety and to prevent damaging anything, so that bit doesn't worry me. Having it in, tested and buttoned up in half an hour is good going though - although, thinking about it, if he had a screen in hand he may have taken the soft option and fitted the screen to diagnose the fault, so it could very well have been already mostly fitted when he rang you.

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,066
    Well he said he had tried the new screen when he called me.

Said something about shining a torch at the old screen and he could see half of it wasn't working.

He also said he ordered the screen for another customer who decided he didn't want his laptop fixed and bought a new one in the end.

Anyway its working now:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      Ah, that makes sense then - in a way, he will be glad to get rid of a part that he has paid out for and then the customer has decided not to go ahead. Been stuck that way a few times myself in the past (there was a time when I had loads of video recorder heads knocking around in my workshop!). It can be a risky strategy chucking a part in to see if it solves the problem, but with screens as long as the driver voltages are stable it is a pretty safe bet.

Happy days anyway, glad you got it fixed. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1