1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Second grass snake

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by andersonec, Sep 9, 2014.

1. andersonec

andersonec Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    This is the second one of these I have come across in the garden, this one had just had a frog for it's lunch and whilst trying to hold it back for it's photo shoot it regurgitated the frog for some reason, it is just starting to appear from its mouth and the fat section behind it's head is the frog, it must have thought I was after it's dinner. For some sort of scale, the slabs are 18 inches square.
    Grass snake 1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,342
      These breed every year in my compost heap, which means that I have to take care when turning it. I find quite a number of brightly coloured baby snakes around the garden. The breeding ones are a fair size. Below is the head of one, browner and duller than the one in
      andersonec's picture. I have not seen the adults outside the compost heap, but they don't overwinter there.
      Grass Snake.JPG

• Like Like x 2
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Nice one anderson too :)

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,514
        Disturbing the snake while it is trying to eat is bound to have an effect!

Nigel, as you probably know, yours is about to slough so the colour is duller as the skin is loosening and the eyes have clouded over.