1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shocking Local Seals Story

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by rosa, Jan 16, 2010.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    just had to let you know this, ive just heard on thursday gone four seals were found on my local whitley bay beach all be-headed, how can anyone do this im just so upset, shocked and appalled at these people doing this to these seals.
    ive never ever known all the years seals coming onto our local beach, this has just so upset me.

2. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    That's just heartbreaking Rosa. I just despair of what "people" will do to animals and each other come to that. :mad:

They are sick.

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
  4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi peri, im with you on that i hope they catch these people that have done this, your link you got its a similar one to mine thanks for that, sounds like these seals were from the farne islands and one being a white baby seal and it couldnt swim it seems like these young seals have been on whitley bay beach a while and as they suggested a killer whale got them very much doubt this we have no killer whales ever on our coast line.
    one of them was tagged from the survival programme fife in scotland but i guess it was tagged at the farne islands up the northumberland coast near bamburgh castle.
    iff i hear anymore will let you all know

5. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    rosa this is a truly horrible occurance! in the the times coverage there is a suspicion this mayy have been done by local fishermen as seals eat a lot of fish

horrible horrible people

Loopy

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi loop lou ive heard that about fisherman but spoke to a friend of mine she said fisherman wouldnt do that on our coast its probably kids, apparently seals have been on our shoreline mind ive never seen them, doubt fisherman would leave 5 young seals on our beach. lets hope who ever did this gets caught as police are investigating this.

7. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    It is plausible that it was fishermen, and it is even possible that it was not done out of malice (hear me out). This is one possible theory, I'm not saying it is right, or that it is morally right even if it is what happened.

If the seals had got their heads stuck in nets, and then drowned, the easiest way to seperate them from the nets without damaging expensive nets might have been to cut them out.

Like I say, that is just a theory. It may be miles from the truth of what happened, and even if it did happen like that, I'm not saying it would be morally right. To be honest I'd personally rather it be that than have the idea that someone is sick enough to do it for fun.