1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow home network?

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by clanless, Feb 19, 2021.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Printers x 1
    Tablets x 2
    Phones x 2
    Amazon Dot x 1
    Smart TVs x 3 But we have a powerline to the main TV.
    Tumble dryer x 1 Yes it does have a WiFi connection, but I refuse to use it.

The latest Virgin router, Hub3, has both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands. But you don't select which band to use now, presume it always connect to 5 Ghz when it can?
    Anyway I am going to look for a WiFi enabled toaster for MrsH's birthday, she will love it :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,930
      Laptop x 1
      TV x1
      Phone x1
      I could connect my camera, but I'm not sure why I would need to.
      :roflol:

• Like Like x 2
      • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
        Ratings:
        +7,624
        How quaint....:heehee:

It's called 'smart connect' - at least that's what tp-link call it. Your device connects to the fastest frequency whether it be 2.4 or 5 Ghz. In this case the same network name and password are used for both frequencies. If my device uses 5 Ghz, I connect to 5 Ghz - loads of kit now uses blue tooth and even your microwave can mess about with a 2.4 Ghz signal.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,465
          :loll:

Don't do Smart! ;)

I've managed fine without it since WWII :old: :roflol:

• Like Like x 3
          • Funny Funny x 2
          • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,782
            Buying a dual or triple band wifi router to solve the slow internal home network might be one solution. Another is just simply to increase ventilation or cooling of the current router (and possibly to flash it with a better optimised firmware).

You are effectively doing a DOS attack on the router by having numerous connected devices bombarding it with requests. The router works harder and generates more heat as a result, which, in turn, slows down the network. Eventually, it will reach thermal shutdown and the router will reboot itself.

Heat rises so the orientation of my broadband 2.4GHz 802.11n wifi router matters. Mine works best face down with the air vents upper most. It will overheat if stood the right way up or mounted vertically as it was intended.

I would have modified the router by bonding copper shim heatsinks onto the surface chips and/or possibly soldering on a small fan if there were no other easy solutions. I have many heatsinks and fans collected over the years so the job wouldn't have cost me anything either.