Sparkling Wine

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by Scrungee, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    Been sorting through my recently emptied sparkling wine bottles (used for pasteurised juices and closed with 29mm crown caps) for 'full weight' ones, 888g or more, as naturally conditioned fizzy stuff creates far more pressure than the artificially carbonated stuff.

Found 30 so far, but an initial 5 cases of fizzy stuff will do for now, although I do still have over 60 unused Condessa 'Sparkle Tops' (@Zigs will probably remember them) that eliminate the need for undercaps and messy disgorging

sparkletops.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      They were brilliant, don't think I got any left now.

Last thing I made with them was elderberry champagne, had pink froth :Wino:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,996
      I believe if anything's any good, and might get changed/discontinued, then stockpile them, so when I realised they were being discontinued I bought up a substantial amount of what was available in local HB shops or online, think what I paid worked out between 50p and 75p per top, as some suppliers were selling them off at knock down prices. Even if they can't be reused, that's sparkling wine for around £1/bottle.

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
      • Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,996
        Got my EC1118 yeast starter on yesterday, have divided it up/topped up today as then 1 sachet will make my first gallon of sparkling plus another 6 galls of cider (might divide again and put 2 galls on for sparking stuff).

I'm trying a sparkling version of quick fermenting/maturing 'Easy White', hoping to have drinkable fizzy stuff in about 6 weeks. The still version I pitched the yeast in 22 days ago tastes great already, but I'm allowing some extra time for bottle conditioning (carbonation), remuage (riddling), etc.

Allthough not normally necessary with most still homebrew wines, as it can be added at a later stage, I've sulphited the pasteurised juices being used (as there wont be a chance to use spoilage inhibiting sulphite later on) 24 hours before the yeast starter will be added.

Looking forward to my 50p/bottle 'bubbly'.

• Like Like x 2
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Winner of this weeks GC word of the week is Scrunge with...

• Agree Agree x 1