1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparrowhawk

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by martin-f, Mar 15, 2015.

1. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Hi, I had this chap in my garden the other day, not very good for my blue tits that was taking an interest in my boxes, but nice to see all the same,

He was present for a good half hour with a few unsuccessful hunts only to return back.
    60175-a4d0217b09b32b097162a8046495ecaa.jpg 60179-515a7f5acd0ae5dd2ed9c5e1b25194ff.jpg 60180-d96a44d2da598731d14647a6741f616c.jpg 60181-ef5389f7f5049696046f40728477a4f7.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • lost_in_france

lost_in_france Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,138
      Great pic Martin. We have a sparrowhawk swoop on our garden too but he never stops long enough to get a photograph. Just know he's around as you see a 'whoosh' and all the little birds go scattering off

• Like Like x 1
      • martin-f

Ratings:
        +10,302
        We have a few mice that feed under the bird table, he did swoop down on a few occasions, I think he kept returning due to the fact of the mice.

• Like Like x 1
        • martin-f

Ratings:
          +10,302
          The day before. a pair of blue tits considering setting up home, the box is just below where the hawk is perched

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
          • hans

hans Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +745
            That is what I call a photo brilliant. They are amazing predators nature is sometimes a bit cruel.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • martin-f

Ratings:
              +10,302
              Many thanks, he/she is around very often, he must be used to hunting in and around gardens the other day he landed on the fence while I was in the green house, when he saw me he did not go far,

He must have taken a black bird out Thursday, I only saw a puff of feathers falling to the ground, having said that I keep hearing another bird of prey calling, I am unsure if its a kestrel or a peregrine, I keep trying to record its call but every time I get my phone out to record, it stops calling out.

• Like Like x 4
              • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
                Ratings:
                +598
                I once had a neighbour who would get a fresh piece of bone or a pig's trotter from the butcher and put it on a tree in his garden to attract Sparrowhawks, Buzzards etc. It worked but I have to say fresh meat hanging around was a high price to pay for a photo as far as I was concerned. (He used to hang dead crows on his apple tree as a bird scarer too).

Luckily the trees were at the end of his garden furthest from mine.

• Like Like x 2
                • Informative Informative x 1