1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spruce's honey bees

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Spruce, May 1, 2012.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,809
    Good morning @shiney bees produce honey as food stores for the hive during the long months of winter when flowers aren't blooming and therefore little or no nectar is available to them. European honey bees, produce such an abundance of honey, far more than the hive can eat, that humans can harvest the excess.:smile:

I to have a question as well"how do we know how much is the excess";)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,861
      We take what we want and then feed the bees sugar water :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,364
        If it's any food for me then there's never an excess. I eat it all! :loll:

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +72
          My goodness that has to be one of the best Admin responses I have ever seen.

It is pretty obvious to me that I need to update my site as a lot has happened since I posted about Queens.

Firstly until today, 29/5/16 I was beeless since late Feb 2016 by reason of selling off all my stocks in preparation for moving to the borders of Scotland.

Today a swarm arrived in one of my bait hives and (assuming) they stay put I am set fair to multiply up to the point I can again produce bees for sale.

Once upon a time I kept bees commercially which is to say a couple of tons of honey per season or so. Now I am more relaxed and aim to produce comb honey mainly.

As for over wintering bees on honey, well... it is one of those no brainers that are actually not so... some honey is great, and some not so, Heather for instance, and in that case it is better to remove it and substitute sugar in the form of syrup. BTW a good colony can take down and store 3 gallons in under 15 hours. Hence "Busy Bees"

Note to Admin's... I will edit my site and run the link past you first before posting. apologies again and delighted to be the forum beeperson. :)

PH

• Friendly Friendly x 5
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            So glad you came back Poly :)

The staff team were concerned that we'd scared you off, were talking about it over the weekend's meet up :phew:

Glad to have you on board :)

It was nothing personal, we do have to have a look at links from new members :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              [​IMG]

Hi PH, thank you for accepting our point of view and welcome to GC as it's Official Bee Keeper.

No apologies needed as I said and any help that Admin can give, should you need it, will always be there. I'm really pleased that the Bee Thread is going to be rejuvenated and I know the GC Gang will follow it with great interest. :coffee::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                Ratings:
                +14,125
                • Like Like x 2