1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Star gazing

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by martin-f, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like your a very busy man ARMANDII and your like us by the sounds of it...love your leather chairs [​IMG]....sounds like interior is being done besides garden ...very nice :love30:

I can just imagine your garden as it's beautiful and I bet there is some plants in bloom :wub2:...I can see there'll be some rushing about to get things done for Shineyland....have you got any inches left for another 60 plants [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I'd permanently hire him with what you've got on :snorky:....what a place to set it up in the kitchen [​IMG] i'd die of [​IMG] that's MEN for you the local DIY is always the home :dunno: :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        A Kitchen is ideal for temporary DIY, Gail, as it's in easy reach of a Mug of Tea, and it's warm, dry and within re
        Yes, hopefully, it will be, Gail. I like Leather suites and this 3 piece suite is hand made to order by a firm in Wales. Of course the cats like them too, but cats are not good for that kind of furniture so I've got some throw overs to give some protection to the cats using them as a short cut to somewhere.:cat-kittyandsmiley: I've just bought a British made Gas Cooker and never again will a Chinese made cooker pass my door step as they just don't do the job. The carpet will come in June when the Shineyland Open Day is past and things have started to, hopefully, quieten down. Hopefully, by then the Telescope will be operating properly, the garden will be running itself and I will be sitting in the Arbour, with Jenny the Cat, and a Mug of Tea.

• Like Like x 2
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Never heard nothing like it :dunno:...except from friends of my hubby who have fetched engines apart in their kitchen :mute:...i'd rather be a tea's maid all day than have things in the kitchen that shouldn't be there :whistle:
          Yes we :wub2:leather even the motor's have them [​IMG] quality mate :love30:
          Oh definitely a cover up with your cats :yikes:...we had a new cooker before xmas also but it's a bit dangerous opening the door my god it burns you.. you end up glowing :phew:

Well at least you'll have a break from when your leather suite comes to when your carpets arrive and like you say it's relaxation time then...hopefully in the peaceful spot I :dbgrtmb:

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hello @ARMANDII I do hope your getting your home to how you want it and do you have your new telescope rigged up yet? :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,814
              @ARMANDII my friend,don't forget tomorrow;):blue thumb:

This week stargazers will look up to the night skies to see the July full moon glow a deep red to orange colour.

The so-called Blood Moon will appear in the afternoon hours of Friday, July 27 during the total lunar eclipse.

The lunar eclipse is the second of two this year and comes hot on the heels of the January 31 Super Blue Blood Moon.

Clocking in at one hour and 43 minutes, astronomers are touting this Blood Moon eclipse as the longest one of the 21st century.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Hi Woo, thanks for the reminder.:thumbsup: It's not something most Astronomers actually get too excited about a Blood Moon as there are at least 2 Red Moons at year. It's caused by a Lunar Eclipse where the Earth's shadow falls on the Moon when it comes between the Sun and the Moon. Full Moons are not really good for looking at from my point of view as there is so much light, in a ordinary full Moon, that viewing it through a scope feels like looking at a Searchlight and leaves big black spots in your vision after viewing:hate-shocked::heehee: I prefer all the stages of the Moon's waxing and waning, bar the full Moon, as they cast shadows on the surface of the Moon from the craters and mountains.:yes::hapydancsmil::snorky:

Despite some cloud drifting along the night skies last night I managed some shots of the Moon mostly through the veils of cloud.

[​IMG]
                [​IMG]
                [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hello ARMANDII...lovely to see you have it rigged up and managed to capture some shots...just look at the detailing it took...I bet you was pleased ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    The Moon has been too low on the horizon and is also not showing until the early hours of the morning so it's not been a good candidate for imaging. I've been trying to find the correct focal length between the telescope and the camera and so have been taking some test shots without knowing how they would turn out.

A one minute exposure of Altair [16.8 Light Years [around 100 trillion miles] away]

[​IMG]

A 20 second exposure
                    [​IMG]

A 5 second exposure
                    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Hello ARMANDII now is it me with my eyes :scratch:….should that be looking a bit more clear as it's showing slightly blurred to me, i :dunno:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        No, you're exactly right, Gail, and well spotted:love30::snorky:. I thought I'd show you what a camera see's without proper tracking.....so it's not blurred but has recorded the stars movement:snorky:.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                          Ratings:
                          +6,097
                          The times I have been tempted to buy a good reflector telescope and observe the heavens more. Sadly, as for probably many of us. Living in a town, London. There is so much light pollution, it would be a waste of money.
                          When we used to caravan in the New Forest it was different. The night sky was a new world to us, we'd often sit outside and watch the meteor storms speeding across the dark expanse. Makes me recall some Biblical texts, how the works of GOD's hands are stretched out across the heavens.
                          Perhaps someone can help me here. My flat is so placed that. Looking out of the sittingroom window, is due west. For the past few evenings I have observed a bright star or planet. It comes into view about 20.30 Might this be Mars? I can't tell if there is any colouration.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                            +0
                            Nice to know ARMANDII with my spec's on I saw correctly :snorky:...still not bad though until your able to get it right :love30: Chop Chop get it right ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
                            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              Well, you would think so, wouldn't you, Mike.:dunno: But, there's a lot of amateur astronomers in London and there's a firm in London called the Widescreen Center that sponsors a bunch of London Astronomers called, I think, the Irregulars who meet in different parts of London for observing. There's also filters called Broadband
                              [​IMG]

which while not getting rid of all sky glow light pollution certainly gets rid of a major part of it. I use a Meade 2" Broadband filter on my telescope for visual and imaging and they do work. Like I said there are lots of City astronomers in the UK and the USA [the latter being even worse for light pollution that the UK]. There's a book by Rod Mollise called the "Urban Astronomers Guide" and one called the "Backyard Astronomers Guide" by Terence Dickinson and Allan Dyer which are really good in explaining how easy and good it is to use a scope in a city. I got both when I first started in astronomy and they gave me the encouragement to observe in light polluted conditions.:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                                +100,836
                                Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are on view at the moment, Mike. All 3 are low on the horizon and awkward to see unless the low horizon is clear. You're also looking at them through the thickest part of the atmosphere, the thinnest being directly above you, so seeing detail is a bit hit and miss. You're mostly likely looking at Jupiter which is the biggest and brightest planet in the skies, although Mars in not far behind.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2