1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Started the new chemistry set :)

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by Loofah, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,819
    Just realised I forgot to sterilize the corks. Will that be a huge problem?

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Might possibly be. There's also probably the fact that you didn't sterilize your corker. Did you also sterilize your fingers before using them to put the corks into the corking machine? (perhaps taking things a bit too far) Or did you just rely on the existing sulphite levels to take care of everything? (I sulphite corks, just as I sulphite cork demijohn bungs by sticking them in a 2 Litre jug and placing a glass plate above them to keep them in the sterilizing solution).

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,819
    Argh! All these things to be sterilised! Most of the kit was sterilised using that powder stuff in water and swishing it all about for a while. Bottles were stuck in the oven for a while at 140 and allowed to cool.
    totally forgot about the corks. ah well, fingers crossed
    how does everyone sterilise their demijohns? oven or water?

4. Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,067
    Sanitizing is very important but sometimes we all forget something or other and get away with it if we are lucky.
    I sanitize my demi's using the water + potassium metabisulphite ( also known as "that powder stuff":snork:) . I also use that for the bottles, and pretty much everything else, most of the time too.

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I just use boiling water.

6. Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
    Ratings:
    +563
    I use Milton sterilising tablets. I half fill my brewing bucket and everything I'm going to use goes in there. I have on occasions forgotten and all has been ok!