1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

sunflower seeds

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by nicsdad, Aug 6, 2006.

1. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i,ve decided to grow different sunflowers next year,so any seed will be most gratfully recieved,thanks.

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've some minitures on the go. Don't know the name though but I'll see if I can ge some seed later.

3. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have some miniature sunflowers that produce loads of heads and I have some 11ft sunflowers. I can send seeds from both if you want. Send me a pm with your name, address and they will come to you like magic... [​IMG]

4. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Gone past the age of working so just enjoying myse
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have one sunflower that is about 14/15 foot high and another that is about 10/11 foot high that produces one big flower at the top and lots of smaller ones at the base of each leaf all the way up the stem, the 14/15 footer is in flower now and the other one should be in flower in the next couple of weeks. (I was late putting them in.)
    If you would like me to keep some seeds from them when they are dried out, send me a pm with your name and address.

Trevor

5. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm offering sunflower seeds and I don't really no how to get them (my 1st year with e'm [​IMG] ) so do I just cut the heads off when they are hanging down and starting to die and hang them out in the greenhouse to dry off? Or is there a better way?
    Trevor

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    That sounds OK. If you leave some on the plants the birds will be very grateful!

7. greenfingers

greenfingers Gardener

driver
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not too sure with which type of sunflower plant it is, but I have 10pks of 20 seeds to give away.
    The plant grows 5-6ft tall, and gives off many flower heads of brown with yellow tipped petals.

Send me a pvt message with your address so I can send them to you now.

8. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    gofoit2,

You can cut the head of and put it on some newspaper to dry. If you pick at the seeds, they will freely come out of the head, then just leave then to dry.

This is what I have done in previous years and have had no trouble getting the seeds.

I usually keep a dozen for next year and put the rest in a bird feeder.

Hope this helps

9. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you very much that looks a much easier way of drying them, and it will keep the wife happy.
    We have a bird table (the wife buys an extra loaf of bread a day and currants to mix in with the bread for it) and 2 bird feeders, it costs me a bomb to get her enough seeds and fat balls, that�s why I thought I would try to get my own seeds with sunflowers.
    Do you know if there is there any other plant that produces lots of seeds that I could try out as well please?
    We are both retired and we have anything up to 100 birds in the garden at one time, and my wife can sit outside for hours with her camera, taking about 70/80 photo's, and then spend about another hour deleting most of them until she is happy with the few she has left, which I put onto the computer ready to put onto a DVD when we have enough.

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    If anyone wants them, I have a very dark all-brown sunflower which is going nicely to seed. Just let me know and I can send some seeds when they're ready.

11. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I've been having a lot of problems with my computer, and not been able to get online, and when I did, any sites I logged onto most of the pages was covered with red X's so I couldn't see what was in the boxes, so I formatted, and lost a lot of web addresses, and emails, including this one ...lol.. Only just found it again...lol

A few months ago I asked if anyone wanted Sunflower seeds, 2 or 3 people PM'd me with their email address, which I have lost, I have still got the seeds and they are dried out, so if you would be so kind as to PM me again I'll get them in the post to you. Sorry to be a pain in the butt. Lol

Trevor