1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

the jay

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by intermiplants, Oct 9, 2007.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    wow walnut that is awesome wouldnt like him as a resident hawk though [​IMG] glad the blackbird was quick on his wings bet you never expected the hawk turining up. glad your robin wasnt about bet you needed a swift cuppa after hawkys visit :eek: :eek:

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,531
    Brilliant catch Walnut, don't see that many around here.

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    A rare moment and well done on managing to catch it, walnut.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,901
    Great Photo Walnut Keep them coming. [​IMG]

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ste the sparrow hawk is a regular visitor on our patch last year she took a baby blackbird a dunnock several sparrows in our garden alone, they fly over once weigh up whats about and swoop in low from nowhere it's rare they miss,my brother keeps pigeons and he has problems with sparrow hawks they have took the odd pigeon and wreak havoc with the local population of collared doves.

6. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    walnut how common are they never thought you would see a picture like that it looks like something straight out of a book [​IMG] going to have to do a bit of reading about them. what other prey do they go for would they attack rabbit ... sorry for all the questions i throw at you but im only a starter [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ste the female sparrow hawk is bigger than the male they will take collared dove, stock dove, great spotted woodpecker (taken from a birdtable), snipe, sanderling, wood sandpiper, starling, snow bunting, ring ouzel and crossbill you can add small mammals to the list probably a rabbit would be too big, they are very persistent and I have seen them chasing down starlings they are quite agile weaving in and out trees and shrubs, they will also take prey off the ground. They are becoming more common and finding birds easy prey on and around bird tables in gardens.

8. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Super pic walnut - I've only just now come across it. You were lucky having the camera to hand.
    Only ever had one once here in the garden.

9. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Great pics of your Jay very rare in as much they are very shy birds you have done very well to get the pictures you have I love watcing birds and I have seen Jays but not that close 10 out of 10

10. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    glad you enjoyed the pics he only comes that close when he is very hungry, if i spot him i just move the nuts closer to the garden day by day untill he that close i can get a good shot through the conserv window ;)

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Im amazed you managed to catch that on camera walnut, an amzing pic.

Looking forward to seing your jay again inter.

12. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    ill get a good picture again pro he keeps flying over looking at his monkey nuts but he wont come at the moment ...i am being serious next door has cut her fers down at head height and hung bird feeders from her tree only problem is its bang in line with her six foot fence. so you guessed it her cat has been sitting on fence but just covered by the fers the birds have sussed it and have kept away. if it continues ill [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] just have a pleasent word and see if she can move her feeders to another tree she not so bad, i dont think she has even realised ;)

13. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    and if i dont get any joy i will .....
    [​IMG]

14. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    walnut would you sat my birds nest at the back of the tree is too low or will it be ok at that height
    [​IMG].

15. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi I think your bird nest box is to low what is on the other side ot the fence