1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

the jay

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by intermiplants, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    When the tree is in leaf you may well get wrens in there as longs as its quiet on the other side.

Some ofthe gardens I work in have boxes as low as this that are regularly used.

2. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    just next doors garden .. the fence has carpet gripper on the top that next door has put on [​IMG] .. may move the nest box if need be ;)

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Too low Ste especially with moggies around try putting it on the side of the house but not the side facing the full sun.

4. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    walnut how long can i expect a robin to live if it avoids all preds as i now have a resident robin , been buying suet pellets he loves them and now visits all the time. im too tight to pay for meal worms ;) be nice if i get a pair nesting

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ste the answer to your question is that most adult small birds in temperate regions such as ours live for between 1�¼ and 1�½ years, but that only about 10-20% of young reach adulthood. Big birds, seabirds and tropical birds can live much longer. But some individuals of any species can live as much as ten times as long as the average - thatâ��s like an exceptional human living for about 800 years!The oldest recorded age for a robin was about 11years.

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Blimey Walnut, average age for a robin about 1 and a bit years, oldest 11. Flipping heck :eek:

It's a shame to think our little birds only live that long :( .

Blooming wind blew our bird table over, will get it back up next week.

Cheers

7. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    same here borrowers 1 and a bit years .would have never known that all the more reason to feed em up if they not here that long might as well let them enjoy the grub ;)

8. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  9. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  10. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Great shots of the Bluejay Ste.is your Jay still around?

12. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Whereabouts in Manchester are you.? Does he go all the time for the monkey nuts and what do the Magpies do ? I must say Im incredebly jealous

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    The bluejay is north american Jean Ste's jay is Garrulus glandarius

14. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    sorry cm the blue jay photos are just good pictures i found my jay is still around but not as much as he likes the cover in the trees as they are a very shy bird so once we have leaf cover he here most days heres my shots
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] we live in btween bury and bolton when he starts feeding again i will post you some more pics..anything you want to know just ask our walnut he usually knows ;)

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Good shots Ste. he seems to be weighing that collared dove up.